Replacing a roo chick - possible options?

Chad Oftedal

Songster
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Woodinville, WA
My Coop
My Coop
So, of my 8 little chicks that I got (as 1 week olds) on 2/21, I've finally conceded that one of the Rhode Island Reds is a he and not a she. That leaves me with 7. Of the seven, my Plymouth Barred Rocks look to soundly be little ladies, and the other two Rhode Island Reds are also girls. That leaves the two Ameraucanas, and from what I understand, until I hear crowing or see blue eggs, we'll never know. :D

I have a few options that I'm thinking through, but I wanted to understand the logistics before I went too far.

I could just keep the seven and be done with it because that's still enough. I have enough room for up to 16, but just starting at seven is still OK. There's no overly compelling reason to replace the one.

The place that I bought them from has some remaining chicks that are 2 weeks older than my current chicks, and 2 weeks younger. Both groups have Rhode Island Reds, and I think at 7 and 11 weeks, we could be pretty sure I'd get another girl. They also have some Plymouth Barred Rocks, and I also feel confident we could pick a girl.

If I did want to add the replacement, would I need more than 1? I'm a bit worried that adding a single - even at the 9+ week chick age - they might bully. Suggestions on that? I don't have any adults, this is just adding chicks of near the same age to each other.

Finally, the plan is for them to go out to the finished coop on Monday/Tuesday this next week. With that pretty big change in their environment, would it be a good time to sneak in the new addition(s)? When I raised fish, if you re-arranged plants and structure layout in the tank, you could add new fish to the school because everyone was sort of building their new boundaries and figuring things out. They didn't really notice someone was new because they were all establishing their areas again. I don't know if the existing chicks that I have would still stay banded together or with all the excitement of the move to the large space in the coop, if they'd pay any more or less attention to new comers.

I'm really trying not to overthink it here, but just keep the peace in my chick flock. They've really been well behaved so far.

16 chickens in 64 square feet? Thats tight.

Gary

That would be the theoretical max at 4 sq. ft. min per bird. I can't really see going up that high. The most I would go comfortably would be 12. That gives some extra room in the coop and run. I was just using that number as the max based on the accepted values that people commonly use here for sizing. I'd rather have fewer, but happier birds, even if the space allowed for more.

You obviously seem like you don't want a rooster—what I'm thinking is, would it be that bad? He could protect your flock, and you'd still get eggs daily. Plus, if you want to add to your flock later on, you would get some fertilized eggs to hatch, and the hens would do all the integrating of the new chicks for you!

Just a thought. :) I'd understand if you live in an area where they don't want/allow roos, but they are a bit hard to re-home. I've had great experiences with my two roos (thus, I'm a bit bias, hehe), but everybody's different!

Hope this helps!
--- CiscoChickens

It's a fair question. I am technically in an unincorporated area that would allow me to have a rooster, but our property is just shy of an acre, and though we have some nice space, we're still residential with other houses around. I won't rule it out some day, but I think I'd like to start this first adventure sans rooster.

IMHO, wait a year or two and then get more chicks. Having staggered ages means they won't all be getting "too old to produce well" at the same time.

Are you mainly keeping chickens for eggs? If so, you might want to delay getting more chicks now and just add more next year (since you mentioned there's plenty of room in the coop). That'll keep the eggs going better than if you have a flock all the same age.

That said if you really want at least 8 in this batch, at this age you can probably still add chicks around the same age without too much fuss. They won't have a set pecking order yet. I would opt for adding 2 over 1 as that will give it a buddy and keep any negative interest from the existing chicks spread out.

I definitely agree with this advice. Having staggered ages will keep you in eggs more regularly.

How big is the coop they are going into?

That’s a good thought, and let’s us use the heating plate again and have fun with a new batch.

It’s an 8x8 walk-in coop with about 165 sq ft of run space - when I get the run finished in a week or so.

You obviously seem like you don't want a rooster—what I'm thinking is, would it be that bad? He could protect your flock, and you'd still get eggs daily. Plus, if you want to add to your flock later on, you would get some fertilized eggs to hatch, and the hens would do all the integrating of the new chicks for you!

Just a thought. :) I'd understand if you live in an area where they don't want/allow roos, but they are a bit hard to re-home. I've had great experiences with my two roos (thus, I'm a bit bias, hehe), but everybody's different!

Hope this helps!
--- CiscoChickens

I would definitely get 2 together and then slowly integrate. My chicks are still in the brooder but we've introduced two separate groups over the past 5 weeks. Each time we divide the brooder using chicken wire and put the new ones on one side. Let's them see each other and get to know each other safely. Our oldest ones are buff orpingtons and they've always been very accepting of the new chicks within a day or two. It could take longer for other breeds.

IMHO, wait a year or two and then get more chicks. Having staggered ages means they won't all be getting "too old to produce well" at the same time.
I definitely agree with this advice. Having staggered ages will keep you in eggs more regularly.

How big is the coop they are going into?

Are you mainly keeping chickens for eggs? If so, you might want to delay getting more chicks now and just add more next year (since you mentioned there's plenty of room in the coop). That'll keep the eggs going better than if you have a flock all the same age.

That said if you really want at least 8 in this batch, at this age you can probably still add chicks around the same age without too much fuss. They won't have a set pecking order yet. I would opt for adding 2 over 1 as that will give it a buddy and keep any negative interest from the existing chicks spread out.

Yep, pets that earn their keep by producing eggs!

Back
Top Bottom