Replacing chick question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ekafns, Jun 14, 2016.

1. ekafns

ekafns Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    Hello all, looking for opinions.

Some predator wiped out all but 3 of my 12 chickens. 1 male bantam buff brahma 3 months old. 2 female australorps 6 weeks old.

The 3 month old is obviously lonely making sad noises all day. So I am trying to figure out what is my best next move.

A female bantam buff brahma same age range? Do they care about the breed? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Replacing chickens isn't as simple as it sounds. Your three-month old will not exactly welcome a new chicken even though she probably is lonely without her flock. She will be aggressive toward a new comer and it won't be all cumbaya until they work through the adjustment period.

You would be better off just putting the six-week olds in with the older pullet, separating them for a while, then giving the youngsters limited access to the spaces occupied by the older one, with plenty of escape sources such as perches and stumps. They will form a new flock in a few weeks, and after they all grow to maturity, then I would then add some new baby chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by