Replacing my cock.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Unobtanium, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Unobtanium

Unobtanium Songster

May 13, 2018
    Pineville, MO
    I have 9 welsummer hens and a welsummer cock. He is about 1 year old, and extremely aggressive. He attakcs my girlfriend even after taking food from her. This is unsat. I have purchased 7 Buckeye baby hens, and 1 Jersey Giant black cock. I read the JGs are much more chill wifh people. The buckeyes are winter layers and good mousers. They freersnge on my 13 acres, and coop up for the night.

Thoughts, ideas, will this work? The coop is 3ft deep by about 6ft wide. I was told by deer run farms that this was plenty for 18 or so birds. received_370474650240917.jpeg received_2304319426489456.jpeg received_2073722212920727.jpeg 64216832_10100175780308251_2665283101319495680_o.jpg

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Crowing

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    It looks fine for roosting and overnight. You'll obviously want to free range during the day as the run looks a bit small for all 18 all day long.

I've had aggressive Welsummers too. You are doing right to get rid of him.

As to your JG, the only problem with that boy is he tends to get big which may put a lot of weight on your girls depending upon how he sizes out. I've not had one, but I've heard they are more gentle.

You may get really, really lucky and one of those Buckeye girls may be a boy? You will love a Buckeye rooster. I really hated to put them down for table, they were so well behaved.

If this doesn't work out for you, I can highly recommend a Barnevelder rooster. Barnvelders are known for being gentle tempered. You can pick up roosters pretty cheap from breeders. Hatchery stock varies, but a well bred Barnvelder is a joy.

LofMc

3. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Crowing

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    I don't think that's enough space, no. 3 by 6 is 18, and you want a minimum of 4 square feet per bird in the coop, so you only have enough space in there for maybe 4 birds.

4. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    A 6' x 3' coop for 18 chickens gives 1sq foot per chicken. That isn't enough space even just used as a roosting area at night.
    The recommendation here on BYC is 4sq foot per chicken.
    I keep free rangers and they only use the coops at night and to lay eggs. For bantams I allow for 2sq foot per chicken and for full size between 2sqf and 3sqf per chicken.
    I would think your coop is suitable for 8 chickens at the most.

5. Unobtanium

Unobtanium Songster

May 13, 2018
    Pineville, MO
    Wifh 10 chickens, they currently use less than half the roosting space when I check on them at night, clumped near the front.

Wee Farmer Sarah and ocap like this.
  6. How are your winters in MO?
    Are there stretches of time where getting them outside are not possible? This might be a problem.
    I love Jersey Giants, i have mixed them in my flock of standards with no problem. I have seen them talked about here like they are some freekishly giant chicken that cant fit in nest boxes or through chicken doors...really...they are like one pound heavier...not any kind of problem.
    Have you concidered hatching some of your current eggs and hatching a pure breed rooster? Sure, you may inherit another aggressive rooster, but my experience is each rooster has his own personality. I have raised lots of chicks from the same rooster, and the resulting rooster temperments range from good, bad to ugly.

Wee Farmer Sarah likes this.
  7. Unobtanium

Unobtanium Songster

May 13, 2018
    Pineville, MO
    Winters arent too bad. They did well last year.
    I wanted some variety, so I am buying other breeds.
    I tried to let the hens hatch some eggs, but they are poor sitters, and simple math is that an incubator costs nearly what the hatched chicks do. All 10 fit fine when I just had 1 diagonal beam in the coop. Much more roost space, now.

Acre4Me and 50-45-1 like this.
  8. ocap

ocap Crowing

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    you are right with the math. I enjoyed the incubation in the spring but it never paid for itself. Much better to get chicks from the breeders nearby.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's not so much about roosting space but air quality.
    10 might be fine, but adding 7 might exceed the tipping point....especially during integration.

My Wellie cock was a great bird. Breed doesn't always tell the true tale, much has to do with individual birds demeanor's and (maybe even more so) the demeanor's of the keepers when interacting with them.... not to mention the space they have.

10. Wee Farmer Sarah

Wee Farmer Sarah Free Ranging

Your coop is way too small for that many birds. Where are the nest boxes? Also, you didn't show your ventilation ports. I wouldn't keep more than 4 large chickens in there. In the winter when there's a foot or more of snow on the ground your chickens will not want to go out in that and will develop nasty behaviors out of boredom and tight spaces.

sourland likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: