Reptipro 5000 Hatch-A-Long (=

I bought a Reptipro 5000 with the two egg turners several months ago. My first try, I tried to hatch chicken and guinea eggs. No luck., no hatches. My second try, I had 16 guineas and 24 cornix quail. I only 4 guineas hatched and 8 quail. My third try, I put in 50 bob white quail and only 20 hatched. I am having trouble leveling the temperature between the two levels. My forth attempt, I put in 20 pheasant eggs that I paid $100 for in an auction. None of the pheasants hatched.

There is at least a 3-5 degree temperature difference between the top and bottom of the unit. I have the unit pulled out from the wall and it seems to have good air flow for the vents. Also, the turners that I was sent with my unit are tall and barely fit; the wires to the turners do not fit into the indentions in the the door and prevent it from closing well. I have to tape the wires down and still the latch to the door will not latch. Help!

I wanted to get the 2 turner model. But oh my gosh, talk about throwing me for a loop now...........they're going to debut the Reptipro 6000! NOW WHAT???????? DO I WAIT OR TAKE THE 5000 PLUNGE?????
idunno.gif
I wonder if there will be much difference in the price?? Oh me oh my...........
th.gif

I just know I'm going to end up treating myself to the 6000...

just don't tell my husband!
hide.gif

And I forgot to mention....my eggs went in last night. Everything seems to be going just fine. After breakage, I only have eggs on the top rack but there is only a 1 degree difference between top and bottom. So, here is a question for all you experienced hatchers:

When a chicken is sitting on her eggs, how does SHE keep everything spot on at 99 degrees? I mean, with hot and cold weather...there are really a lot of variables. So, when I hear of a range for chicken eggs (between 99-101 degrees) what would a 2 degree difference between the top and bottom shelf really do? Would a good, strong, healthy chick not hatch out of a 100 degree bator? Or 101 degree? Is it really as big of a deal? Not trying to minimize the exact science of hatching eggs, I'm just curious how critical 99.5 degrees really is.

hu.gif

gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
Ohhh myyyy that was the funniest program on back then wasn't it?
gig.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif

gig.gif
Yes it was.......back in the day when they actually had to write comedy and drama, instead of insipid reality T.V. stars, hamming it up in forced situations. Sigh, I'm probably showing my age, but I really miss alot of shows from a few years back.
I believe I will have to contact Reptipro today and see if I can get the skinny on the new 6000's, though the 5000's are on sale.........something's gotta give, I need a better bator system!
rant.gif

And I forgot to mention....my eggs went in last night. Everything seems to be going just fine. After breakage, I only have eggs on the top rack but there is only a 1 degree difference between top and bottom. So, here is a question for all you experienced hatchers:

When a chicken is sitting on her eggs, how does SHE keep everything spot on at 99 degrees? I mean, with hot and cold weather...there are really a lot of variables. So, when I hear of a range for chicken eggs (between 99-101 degrees) what would a 2 degree difference between the top and bottom shelf really do? Would a good, strong, healthy chick not hatch out of a 100 degree bator? Or 101 degree? Is it really as big of a deal? Not trying to minimize the exact science of hatching eggs, I'm just curious how critical 99.5 degrees really is.

hu.gif

I've had broody hens hatch out eggs in the dead of winter.. getting off the nest to eat and drink.. so the temperature for a chicken egg isn't as crucial as it is for an emu egg. The main difference you might see is that eggs on the top shelf might hatch a day before the ones on the bottom shelf.. I know some people will switch the eggs from shelf to shelf as incubation goes along so they all hatch out at the same time.

Emus are different though. The male will set the nest. His metabolism will slow enough that he won't need to get off the nest to eat or drink.. he only stands long enough to turn the eggs. then sits right back down on them. So for an emu egg a difference in temperature can spell disaster for the entire clutch. So since i have a temperature gradient in my incubator they have to stay on the shelf where I initially put them

Back
Top Bottom