Reptipro 5000 Incubator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one of these...I love it & my hatches are great!!
thumbsup.gif
I had a styrofoam LG before this & I hated it so much!!!!!

Holds temp precisely and 30-40% humidity without water. I set the temp @ 102 & temp stays at a perfect 100.4

I put in a baby food jar of warm water at lockdown & I get 60-70% stable humidity. The turners were not yet available when I purchased mine, I just hand turn. There is a temp difference between top & lower shelves...bottom is appx. 2 degrees lower. I've noticed that eggs in the lower portion hatch about 24 hours later than those on the top shelf. If I remember
roll.png
I rotate top & bottom eggs the first 18 days, then all hatch at about the same time.

Since I hand turn & there's no turner taking up space, mine holds 37 silkie (bantam size) eggs laid on their sides.

The big glass door & light switch makes looking in super easy! My grand-daughter pulls up a chair & loves to watch the hatching!

You will need to do:
* on edge of upper shelf..I added a narrow thick strip of adhesive foam weather stripping. There is a gap there when door is closed...possibly big enough for a chick to get stuck. I guess you could also use a rolled wad of paper towel.
* I put double folded paper towel down on the shelves at lockdown as the shelf is like an open grid...little legs will fall through.

This Reptipro is great for anyone who does small hatches....no fuss, just set your temp once!

You may notice a difference in temp from top to bottom since it is a still air incubator. Forced air incubators are much better when it comes to constant overall temp, but a small fan should help. I have a Huge, napco incubator that is like a larger version of this one here.( i just have to fix it)

I just got this incubator for Christmas. It looks great!
Perolane, I must thank you for sharing your experience with this incubator. I didn't realized I could put eggs on the very bottom as I thought this tray was for water. But knowing that just putting in a small jar of water is enough I can now ditch my homemade cardboard/plastic mesh shelf.

I also thought the one shelf that comes with it has too big holes for the chicks when they hatch. I glued on a piece of plastic mesh and it seems to work just perfect! I don't want the chicks to get stuck and not be able to move around.

Does anyone know how long they can stay inside this incubator after they come out of their eggs? I read somewhere between 12-24 hours after... seems like a long time for the chicks to stay inside the incubator...?

Quote:
Jonny..great idea with the plastic mesh!
big_smile.png
I never thought of that & I'll have to do that as soon as I have the bator empty! I set my top shelf on the lowest brackets so the eggs are all pretty close to the same temp.

Humidity will be different depending on where you live, so you may have to fiddle with water receptacles until you get it where you want it. In the winter, for the first 18 days I use one of those little plastic measuring cups that come with children's cold meds....keeps humidity at about 40%. In summer, it's fine without water. On day 18 I put in the baby food jar which raises the humidity for hatching. Remember that it's not the AMOUNT of water...it's the SURFACE AREA that counts. I put my water container on the bottom, just in front of the fan. Here in Louisiana, I only need the above mentioned containers.....others may need larger like a flat sandwich container.

When I first got it, I played with the bator for a few days before I put eggs in. I put a thermometer/hygrometer in on both levels....played with the temp settings till I got it just right...& also tried out various sizes of water containers until I figured out which worked for me. You don't want to be at lock-down & then try to figure out how to get your humidity up...be ready. I have the bator set at 102...which keeps the eggs at 100.4 with no fluctuation. Opening the door to turn the eggs is enough for air exchange. I've never had to change my settings again & my 2 water containers give exactly the same results for every hatch!

Some people leave the chicks in the bator until all are finished hatching......because with some bators, opening to remove chicks will drop the humidity level & may cause unhatched chicks to "shrink-wrap". I haven't had that problem with this bator as it only takes a few seconds to get back to set levels. As soon as the chicks are dry & there are no pips in the other eggs, I'll quickly grab the chicks & place under a heat lamp. The other eggs have always hatched witout problems. Try it both ways & see what works for you.

I've had great hatch rates with my own eggs.....awful hatch rates with shipped eggs, but then so has everybody else even with expensive incubators!

Good luck with your Reptipro...you're gonna love it!!
frow.gif

Our oldest granddaughter and I both got one for Christmas. She already has eggs in hers and I will start using mine tomorrow. I'm glad to see all the great response about the Reptipro. We got the two turners with ours since I work and she'll be in school. I love the window in the door. We found them on ebay and I had the guy call me and he was great about explaining how to use this one (which is really easy) and told me not to hesitate to call if I have any questions when we get started.

We'll keep everyone informed when we get results. Thanks for the info.
smile.png

Last edited:
I bought one, too. I have a slew of smaller Brinsea models and love 'em, but I really do like the Reptipro's big window and interior light. (How's THAT for a reason to get another incubator?!?!)

I got mine with one turner. Got eggs coming soon, so I'll be trying it out.

Quote:
Jonny..great idea with the plastic mesh!
big_smile.png
I never thought of that & I'll have to do that as soon as I have the bator empty! I set my top shelf on the lowest brackets so the eggs are all pretty close to the same temp.

Humidity will be different depending on where you live, so you may have to fiddle with water receptacles until you get it where you want it. In the winter, for the first 18 days I use one of those little plastic measuring cups that come with children's cold meds....keeps humidity at about 40%. In summer, it's fine without water. On day 18 I put in the baby food jar which raises the humidity for hatching. Remember that it's not the AMOUNT of water...it's the SURFACE AREA that counts. I put my water container on the bottom, just in front of the fan. Here in Louisiana, I only need the above mentioned containers.....others may need larger like a flat sandwich container.

When I first got it, I played with the bator for a few days before I put eggs in. I put a thermometer/hygrometer in on both levels....played with the temp settings till I got it just right...& also tried out various sizes of water containers until I figured out which worked for me. You don't want to be at lock-down & then try to figure out how to get your humidity up...be ready. I have the bator set at 102...which keeps the eggs at 100.4 with no fluctuation. Opening the door to turn the eggs is enough for air exchange. I've never had to change my settings again & my 2 water containers give exactly the same results for every hatch!

Some people leave the chicks in the bator until all are finished hatching......because with some bators, opening to remove chicks will drop the humidity level & may cause unhatched chicks to "shrink-wrap". I haven't had that problem with this bator as it only takes a few seconds to get back to set levels. As soon as the chicks are dry & there are no pips in the other eggs, I'll quickly grab the chicks & place under a heat lamp. The other eggs have always hatched witout problems. Try it both ways & see what works for you.

I've had great hatch rates with my own eggs.....awful hatch rates with shipped eggs, but then so has everybody else even with expensive incubators!

Good luck with your Reptipro...you're gonna love it!!
frow.gif

So much good info! Thanks!!!
So you don't use the air circulation at all?

Here's a pic of the mesh I put on. I even made my another shelf, but probably won't use it. The air difference seems to be too high from the very top level to the lower part. I'll just use the very bottom water tray for eggs and the lowest shelf setting. Is that what you do?

Oh.. bummer, I need to have the pic posted somewhere online to post it here..

Yes...I use the fan for circulation.

Yes..I use the very bottom (water tray) for eggs & my shelf is on the lowest bracket.

gig.gif
I have not yet posted pics here for that exact reason!
gig.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom