Reptipro 5000 Incubator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
How many chicken eggs did you put in? Did it seem like the temp difference from top-bottom was big?

I don't remember right offhand how many I put in that one.I think I had about 25-30 OEGB eggs on the top shelf and about 20 eggs or so on the second shelf that I made.The only eggs that didnt hatch were some pullet eggs I decided to try anyway.I had about a dozen in there and about a dozen in the big incubator and none of them started,so I know they just weren't ready.I run it with the fan(non muted).It blows the temp pretty good. You always have to remember that heat rises.So it's naturally going to be warmer up high and cool down low.But like I said the quail eggs i put in didnt hatch.They were layed flat on the bottom.So I figure the temp wasn't right for them.

I do mine just like Whiskey Bay...fan on (non muted). As I mentioned earlier, temp on the bottom will be a few degrees cooler than the temp on the shelf...BUT that just meant the lower eggs would hatch 24-48 hours later. I rotate eggs from bottom to top every few days if I remember so they'll all hatch close to the same time. If you're reading 95 on the bottom (target temp is 95.5) which is great...what is your temp on the shelf?? You wouldn't want any reading to be below 95 or over 102.

Right now, I have the unit (digital readout) set at 102 & the inside temps are : top shelf 100.4.....bottom is 95.4
For whatever reason with this hatch, all is good & I haven't rotated anyone from top to bottom. Last hatch, bottom temps were 94.7....we had a super cold front come through & I'm sure that affected it.

This temp difference is the only little flux you'll have to work out & with mine, it's really so slight. Because of all the other features this unit has, it's not a big deal to me & I just learned how to compensate. Once you do a few hatches, keep notes....it'll be fine! Notice Whiskey Bay says that she made an additional shelf to keep all the eggs higher up & then lets them hatch out on the very bottom.....that may work for you. But then, if you're at 95 like you are now, I'd roll with it!

To add...the Exo Terra I just purchased...with some research, I've found out that this is the very same unit as the Reptipro manufactured by the same company in China. Only difference is that the Exo is black & has an additional shelf. It was also $100 cheaper. I'm going to put the 2 shelves as close together as allowed & as high as allowed...I'll see how that works as to keeping temps the same for all.

Ducklover1...you're very welcome! I'm happy to help here whenever I can!

Quote:
Ah, great! I thought the eggs couldn't be colder than 99 degrees. This is very comforting. I won't stress over it. I have it set at 102 degrees. I thought maybe the screen/mesh thing I put on the shelf was blocking too much circulation, but than again, it is a closed unit and it should be fine.

Thanks you guys so much for all your help and inputs! I truly appreciate it! Makes hatching a LOT easier and not so scary! haha
I read somewhere that the reptipro literally is a wine cooler with an incubator label on it. I saw the exact same unit listed somewhere as a wine cooler LOL but hey, it works great as an incubator!
Did you get the Exo Terra off of eBay?

Btw, Happy New Year to you all!

Yep, it's a wine cooler!
gig.gif
Then reptile breeders discovered that it was perfect for hatching reptile eggs...also for hibernating tortoises/turtles. Since chicken people are using it now, I'm waiting for the label to say "Chickipro"!
lau.gif

Yes I got the Exo on Ebay....and Happy New Years to you too!

Chickipro looool!

Hey, can I ask you.. I just started a thread about what people do with the roosters they get. A lot of people eat them. What do you do with your cockerels?

J

Hey Guys,

This is Chris the owner of ReptiPro and Incubators.org. We were the originator of this unit and yes it seems that everyone under the sun has knocked us off. Oh well. I really just wanted to let you know that our unit is listed for $159.97 on our sister site http://www.incubators.org so it is the same retail price as the exo terra unit.

I believe that we can also offer much better support and customer service as we are a small business and if you have any issues and call you will more than likely talk directly to me. You can check out our feedback on ebay here http://myworld.ebay.com/reptipro/ and you can rest assured that this is genuine.

If you have any questions, concerns, or comments for me feel free to post or message me here and of course you can always call.

We are looking forward to becoming a contributing part of this online community.

Thanks,

Chris

Well hello Chris & welcome! Gee I wish you had posted before I ordered from "the other guy"!
idunno.gif
I feel like a traitor
roll.png
....but I am still using my original Reptipro purchased from you & love it!!!! I know I'll be purchasing another & I'll be sure to get that one from you too!
big_smile.png

Perhaps you could address our issue with the temp difference between top shelf & bottom of unit.....let us know tips on how to synchronize temps in all areas of the bator. Also...if you included an additional shelf, that would be great!!!! My idea with the Exo Terra with 2 shelves was to place both shelves as close together near the top as possible so that all eggs would be at somewhat the same temp all through incubation. Placing eggs on the bottom now means I usually get a staggered hatch. Not so much a big deal...but would be nice to have all hatch at the same time.

Some ideas for helping us "chick hatchers":
*some type of barrier between end of shelf & door so chicks don't get stuck there. I currently use a weatherstrip foam with one adhesive side.
*a way for better circulation of air throughout the unit for even temps top to bottom.

Thanks so much!!!
Pat

Wanted to add: I've also used the Reptipro as an incubator for a joey (grey kangaroo). I am the vet tech for a safari park...mom kangaroo decided to pitch baby out of the pouch for whatever reason...kept joey in the Reptipro. Sadly it was just too young & passed on 2 days later. It weighed only 10 ounces....not the fault of the incubator as it worked perfectly holding steady temp...sometimes ya just can't save them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom