Reptipro 5000 Incubator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using a homebrew incubator now but more than likely I will get a Reptipro if I ever get 'storebought' one just because the owner posted here and supports the community.

Yay Chris!

Quote:
Bad news...one live chick. Had poor fertility and eggs were shipped. I had 3 develop into lockdown. Out of 24 eggs only 10 developed at all. Not sure what judgement to make. Im going to try again. The one chick that hatched is doing great though.
smile.png

Ah I'm sorry to hear you only got one chick... What do you think went wrong?
I have a total of 30 eggs in now..!
hmm.png
Kinda nervous. Started candling a few, and some have veins, but some only have a shadow... not really sure if they will make it. The eggs on the bottom of the bator do concern me with the big temp difference.

I think the fact that the eggs were shipped and had less than desirable fertility was some of the problem. The 3 eggs on the bottom only devoloped to about a day 8 stage then quit. I do think the temp difference on the bottom is a big problem. I got more eggs in today and I am going to try to run the temp at 102 to 103 to raise the temp on the bottom more and still be safe on the top eggs. Please let me know how yours turn out? I really had my hopes up for this bator and hopefully it can reconsile itself in 3 weeks!
hmm.png

Quote:
Sounds like you should redirect the air flow in the incubator to maintain a more steady temperature, is that possible?

Joe

Quote:
Sounds like you should redirect the air flow in the incubator to maintain a more steady temperature, is that possible?

Joe

You know I was thinkng about that. I wonder if I put a shroud on the inside to blow the air up to the top to force the warmer air at the top down to the bottom. Do you have a bator like this as well?

Quote:
No I don't but moving more air should be an easy solution. I also wonder if the fan cycles on and off with the heat? Does the unit need a fan with more CFM capability?
ReptiPro ... can you address this problem?

Joe

Quote:
No I don't but moving more air should be an easy solution. I also wonder if the fan cycles on and off with the heat? Does the unit need a fan with more CFM capability?
ReptiPro ... can you address this problem?

Joe

The fan does cycles on and off when it calls for heat. I did try to redirect the heat and I mispoke myself earlier...the heat blows toward the top not the bottom. Once I redirected the air flow toward the bottom it messed up the thermostat and the air seemed to blow and shut it off right away do to the air blowing right on the termostat. As it is now the fan usually runs for 30 seconds to a minute and shuts itself off. With the air redirected it turned on and off every 5 to 10 seconds. Not sure what else a person could do with out going internally and altering the whole unit...not for me.

Quote:
Hi,
Yes you don't want air blowing on the thermostat. The real solution is to have someone knowledgeable rewire the fan to have it run all the time to prevent stratification of the air which I assume is affecting humidity as well.

In the mean time you could add a temporary fan such as those found at this site;

The wires are thin enough to allow closing the cabinet door and the fan can be anywhere inside.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...d=10001&search_type=jamecoall&freeText=blower

Here is a real small 12 volt DC fan; 1.77inx1.77inX.4in, requires a power supply also available at http://www.jameco.com
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2095322_-1

Small 115Volt fan; 3.15inX3.15inX1.5in,

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2100267_-1

Joe

Last edited:
Quote:
Ah I'm sorry to hear you only got one chick... What do you think went wrong?
I have a total of 30 eggs in now..!
hmm.png
Kinda nervous. Started candling a few, and some have veins, but some only have a shadow... not really sure if they will make it. The eggs on the bottom of the bator do concern me with the big temp difference.

I think the fact that the eggs were shipped and had less than desirable fertility was some of the problem. The 3 eggs on the bottom only devoloped to about a day 8 stage then quit. I do think the temp difference on the bottom is a big problem. I got more eggs in today and I am going to try to run the temp at 102 to 103 to raise the temp on the bottom more and still be safe on the top eggs. Please let me know how yours turn out? I really had my hopes up for this bator and hopefully it can reconsile itself in 3 weeks!
hmm.png

My eggs were also shipped. Last night I candled them all, and in fact, the eggs on the bottom seem to be doing really good! I've fooled so much around trying to figure out the temperature and the difference from top-bottom. I have my bator set at 102 degrees. So yea, I think you need to be careful with 103 as this might be too warm for the top part of the incubator. I have my shelf set on the lowest level, and use the water tray for eggs. I actually put down a cotton cloth on the bottom as I though maybe the plastic would be cold for the eggs. I think this unit works good for an incubator, but I still will have to wait and see how it turns out. I'll let you know for sure.
Also, I turn my eggs 5 times every day. This is my 6th day so I'll see if they still develop next week. Crossing my fingers! It's VERY exciting! Specially when you can see the veins.

Good luck again!

Jonny...glad to hear all going well so far! I turn my eggs 2-3 times a day. Try rotating the eggs from bottom to top shelf every few days. I have a very small batch of 9 lavender silkies in right now...day 19 today & 8 pips so far!
celebrate.gif
100.4 temp 45% humidity days 1-18 100.4 temp 65-70% humidity to hatch.

Tornado8070...sorry about your hatch.
sad.png
I've never had very good luck with shipped eggs & I've heard Copper Marin are tough to hatch. I've spent hundreds on shipped eggs & get 0 to 1 hatch. Very disappointing so I know how you feel.

Joe...Reptipro is currently developing a unit with fans to better stabilize temps bottom to top & other changes...see earlier posts. He also mentioned additional shelves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom