repurpose furniture into small coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SparksNV, Jan 5, 2011.

1. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I used a wooden book case with broken shelves to be a brooder for a long time.... Took the back out of it and put wire there! And made legs for it.

Thought of using shelves from a bookshelf headboard for nestboxes for tractor, they were so heavy, didn't use them, but this would certainly work for a coop setup. Friend made us a showcase from a large kitchen cabinet no longer used...We are still using it!

We love repurposings!

-----------------------------------

Our current auctions are:

Bonus Lavendar Orpington Eggs & 10+ Blue/Black/Splash Orpington Eggs
    10+ Blue Cooper Marans & Splash Marans (Mostly Blues!) eggs
    12+ Buff Orpington Hatching Eggs
    10+ Crested and Non Crested Pekin Duck Eggs - No Reserve!
    [URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=436662] Pickup only - Pure Coronation Sussex Rooster at the Point of Crowing![/url]

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I have 2 Silkies in it right now, but brought home a desk and turned it into (still haven't finished it) rabbit hutch.

I just found an old nightstand on the side of the road and it will either be a small bantam coop or a large nesting area for the rabbit hutch.

I also asked my neighbors for the TV stand they have in their backyard. Bet they'd like me to move that thing. LOL But it will also be a small coop for just a couple of birds.

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Quote:===============================

I so like you and your recycling!!!!! Nancy

4. sarah92107

sarah92107 In the Brooder

This is such a great idea.
    For all those that want to make there indoor furniture last forever outdoors go to a boat assosory store like west marine. They sell sealer that can make a wooden boat look great and they spend a good amount of time in the water.

My front door is oak and I really wanted to stain the front door a dark espresso instead of painting it. Home Depot paint department looked at me like I was crazy but did recommend Rockler wood working store. There I spoke to several people who really helped figure out what to do and gave me the confidence to complete the project. I do remember the sealer being pricey like $50 for a small bottle. But I only used one bottle and my front door looks really fabulous.
    Now with the idea of recycling an old armories into a coop..... I think this would be a stunning focal point in the garden. Maybe in teal blue? I wish I had fewer projects, can you see it now with a colorful fabric lining the back wall? I'm already adding the cost in my head

Gallon gloss oil based paint $35-40
    Boat sealer $50
    Paint thinner $free, got it
    Fabric $50
    Clear glaze to tea stain $free, got it

What to do with the brass handles, they are getting a bit green. That really does add to the charm. Isn't brass a medal we can use outside? It's on boats right?

New handles $50

Shopping hours for 3 separate stores 6hours
    Prep, Painting, glazing, sealing 35 hours.

Maybe it would be better to buy a used playhouse and covert that........

5. mamabear72

mamabear72 In the Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    Northern Nevada
    I cannot believe I found this post! I am thinking of turning my 1895 Kimball pump organ into a small nesting box/coop for our four new chicks. It's a beautiful piece of furniture that is basically useless other than a gigantic ornate decoration soooooo why not repurpose it into something useful right? Seeing some of the ideas posted here gives me incentive to go for it. Now I just have to figure out a way to let it be vented in the summer and closed up in our snowy winters. We're in northern nevada and our weather can differ greatly from morning to night so vent/closed up is something I need to research first ;)

6. Quack House

Quack House Chirping

Mar 6, 2014
    Love this thread! Let's get some pictures!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: