Repurposing dog house- chick coop. Any tips?

I think 4x4 should be big enough for 3 birds. 2 ft is recommended per bird and that gives you about 5ft per bird. Especially if they will have access to outside then they will just be in there at night. I've heard insulation is unnecessary because the birds heat themselves and each other up. My disclaimer is that I am not speaking from experience just what I've researched. Our first flock is still in the laundry room :) We are still building our coop but here are some pictures if that helps. Used a dog house we got off Craigslist and raised it up on stilts. But we also added on because we have 11 chickies we want to fit. We're working on the run that will come off the front where the "porch" is.

ok, here is a dog house for sale in my area. Suggestions on converting please!!!!!!! thanks
I would put the nest boxes to the side at a slant to match the roof, then see you can carefully take the roof apart so you can put hinges on it so it opens and closes making it easy to clean. If that is an issue the make a door at the back of the dog house that you can use to open and clean out the coop. Then put your roost right above the door height to the opposite side of the nest box if you live in climate that gets all the weather or bad winters make room for a small heat lamp nothing crazy think small leopard gecko and keep the wattage small since it's a small place. Also if you live where there are winters your going to need wide (2-3 inches) roost so they can keep their feet warm. Reinforce the floor with 3 2x4s going the long way. For ventilation put your vents about 2x3 " in size on the high points of the dog house front and back. Again if you live in a winter area make covers for these vents. It shouldn't be too hard I have repurposed one myself but I have build dog houses so I know how they are made I have repurposed a lot of other things to make coops. I keep my dog house for show and storage when my shed is done then it will be for show LOL. The coop door I'm not sure what to suggest only because I'm sure how your outside portion is going go. But again with the winter and rain in mind I would cut out a square piece of wood bigger than the door hole, hinge so it goes up and down and then make an over hang so water or snow won't sneak into the coop and put a locking hatch on it. If your going with a run I would make a wood frame with hardware wire and attach it wood to wood on the coop. In addition I would put clear roof on the run just my opinion. And find some wheels and make it a small tractor if you live in city or the suburbs, that way you can move around. I would also make a built in feeder with pvc pipe because you can cap it off on the outside and it won't leak and use the waterer nipples so you won't have spilled or dirty water.

Well good luck can't to see more.

Thanks so much! We do plan on raising it up, and adding an outdoor pen to it! We could always add on, but 3 is enough to start! Get our feet wet so to speak! I will be adding a door covering and vents! yours looks great!

thanks I've actually added to it one of these days I will up date the pick there are a few more details I need to work out and I will get it updated. I know people don't like plastic but it is reinforced with wood and will so it keeps the heat in well no drafts but good ventilation, and stays cool on hot summer days!!! I'm glad you like some of my ideas I'm always thinking of stuff to do. I used the old cd rack inserts and hardware cloth to make a vent LOL!

wow Miquid, that is a lot of very useful info! we do plan on putting a latching/locking door over the already existing opening. Nest boxes will go on side. Great tip to making it easier to clean from behind the coop! If I use that wire mesh for vents, what should I cover them with in the winter? They don't need open vents in winter for clean air? Good to know about bigger roosts for winter too! I did not know that! Will have to look into those pvc feeders. Also now need to look into the water nipple system. I would love to use the moveable coop, but with dogs, I don't want them eating the poop. We plan on penning them off in a section of our garden. Then come fall I will let them roam the whole garden and have them fertilize and compost it! Does that sound like a good idea?

Making this coop, though I am not done yet, has turned out to be so much easier than I ever thought it could be! Lot's of fun, and I have been trying to take pictures along the way.

As you can see on the left side here the nesting box area is not done yet. We are making one big door that folds down, within that will sit 3 small doors to collect eggs (or just to be cute and use the crystal knobs I stole off my old dresser) I made matching little planter boxes from left over piece of wood. I was pretty bored while my boyfriend was working on the angles for the run roof/door...

We haven't finished the roof of the run yet, it will just be wire. I made that door all by myself, I'm in love with it! I made my ladder out of all my broken scrap wood.

Every chick needs a pink wall, I may have however got a little carried away with the mural on the ceiling. It was my boyfriend's idea believe it or not! Only took 5 minutes, and I used leftover paint so why not?? Oh..the "chicken art" I know it's ridiculous but I don't care! I am going to put wire over the triangle windows up top and frame them out, perfect ventilation!

Picture frames for windows! If you didn't know this trick. Now you do, I stole the idea from my best friend "Kels" of Kelsey Marie Designs. Check her coop out here http://kelseymariedesigns.wix.com/kelsey-marie
She is somewhat of a crafting genius!

I am in love with your coop!!! Do you have any updated pics? Id love to see more.

I just got a double dog house for free(4x6) I plan to repurpose this into a chicken coop(coop num 4 lol) Im trying to come up with some good ideas. Yours is so pretty.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom