Required height of brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farmerwannabe, Apr 9, 2008.

1. farmerwannabe

farmerwannabe Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    Eastern PA
    I so appreciate all the great advice found within this forum!

My question is the brooder height requirement for my 3-week-old chicks. I can find info about the required floor space, but what about height? They are trying to fly, and I'd like to add a roost, but I'm concerned they'll get hurt by crashing into the wire lid (15 inches above floor).

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    I don't know about "required" but my brooder is two feet tall. The chicks can easily fly up to the top and bump their heads on the plywood door on top. But they don't hurt themselves. There is just not enough room in there for them to get up enough momentum to do any serious damage.

I have seen wild birds injur or kill themselves by flying into a window, but they must be going at a good click.

I guess a freak accident is possible, but IMO it would be strange indeed for one to seriously hurt themselves by jumping up.

Cassandra

3. farmerwannabe

farmerwannabe Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    Eastern PA
    Thanks, Cassandra. That's comforting.

4. Texas Fluffy Feet

Texas Fluffy Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Arlington, TX
    I would think as long as they can hop onto the roost and not bump their heads on the lid it would be okay.

What does your brooder look like? Maybe we could help you figure out a way to make it taller.

5. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    heres pictures of my brooder that me and mom built.I have not lost a chick yet. Its 2 ft tall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. plapczynski

plapczynski Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Chillicothe, OH
    Mine's 3 foot tall. Tall enough for me to crawl in there if I need to. My brooder is 4' x 8'

7. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by