Required height of brooder?

farmerwannabe

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
Eastern PA
I so appreciate all the great advice found within this forum!

My question is the brooder height requirement for my 3-week-old chicks. I can find info about the required floor space, but what about height? They are trying to fly, and I'd like to add a roost, but I'm concerned they'll get hurt by crashing into the wire lid (15 inches above floor).

Thanks!
D.gif

I don't know about "required" but my brooder is two feet tall. The chicks can easily fly up to the top and bump their heads on the plywood door on top. But they don't hurt themselves. There is just not enough room in there for them to get up enough momentum to do any serious damage.

I have seen wild birds injur or kill themselves by flying into a window, but they must be going at a good click.

I guess a freak accident is possible, but IMO it would be strange indeed for one to seriously hurt themselves by jumping up.

Cassandra

I would think as long as they can hop onto the roost and not bump their heads on the lid it would be okay.

What does your brooder look like? Maybe we could help you figure out a way to make it taller.

Back
Top Bottom