required vaccinations for children

I usually try to stay away from vaccination debates but here is a question to ponder for those concerned with compromised immune systems to be around non vaccinated people. Doesn't it seem more logical for a compromised immune system individual to be more careful what he/she exposes themselves to for their own well being? So for someone choosing to not compromise their healthy immune system with known risk factors in injecting various vaccinations for the sake of an unknown individual that perhaps may cross their path someday.....doesn't that seem wrong? In the debate I'm fine with people taking advantage of science and pharmaceuticals. It should also be okay for those choosing natural alternatives to be allowed their health desires. I can't eat certain things or I will get extremely sick. I would feel wrong in refusing my family or anyone around me to be obligated to follow my limitations. The fear factor thing works both ways. My mom's best friend died last year from a vaccine. She was healthy, young and nothing in her history showed any immunological limitations or compromises. To the original question, vaccinations, are a state issue as has already been stated. Texas opt outs are for drs recommendations/health concerns, religious reasons, or reason of conscience. Since this is a chickens website, what is the consensus for vaccinated and antibiotic treated chickens? :)

In our state, one may opt out of immunizations by submitting a request to the Dept. of Health and Human Services. In turn, a form will be sent to the parent to be signed, have notorized, and presented to the school in lieu of vaccination records. I have two children. One is 20 and has had all immunizations except the Meningococcal vaccine. One is 15, and has received all vaccines prior to entering school (age 5). We have opted out of vaccines for her due to her contracting type I Diabetes (age 5). She was exhibiting no particular symptoms of the illness, but was losing a bit of hair. Being astute to this slight difference, she was taken to the general practitioner. -ran some routine lab work which showed extreme elevated glucose levels. -ran again, as a precaution because he felt it was an error, and it came back more elevated. She was promptly admitted to the hospital. Her endocrinologist "praised" us for catching it so early. He informd us that she'd had the illness LESS THAN TWO WEEKS. I informed him that she'd received her round of immunizations exactly TWO WEEKS to the date of this hospital admission. I haven't any need of "scientific proof", and the perplexed doc was intrigued as well. Immunizations were not the 'cause' but definitely the 'trigger/catalyst' by which the immune system was stimulated (subsequently attacking the pancreas). We have no family history of autoimmune disease (of which is type I Diabetes). I think it is a very personal decision that should be carefully considered by each parent. Given the choice of POTENTIALLY contracting measles and having a significant chance of survival free from complications, or opting for a chronic illness for which there is no cure and significant complications/mortality rate - I know which I would prefer.......

I'm not trying to be snarky, this is an honest request for information. If all the other children are vaccinated, how does the non-vaccinated child present a threat? Wouldn't they only be a threat to other non-vaccinated individuals?

I know that the measles vaccine cannot be given to kids until they are at least a year old (meaning all babies under a year old are at risk from the measles). Measles can be very deadly (1/3 of young children infected still die from it and almost all need to be hospitalized to be treated). So if the baby comes in contact with someone else who has it, they have zero defenses against it. Measles was once thought to be eradicated from the US, so the number of people who stopped vaccinating rose. But since world travel is more common now, people who traveled can still bring the illness in, and can cause outbreaks in areas where not vaccinating is becoming the norm. Then there's the issue that since measles is so uncommon, many newer doctors have never seen a case, meaning that children that do have it may not get the correct treatment right away.

Vaccines also use the idea of herd immunity, meaning that if almost everyone is vaccinated, then the few that aren't are protected because the disease can't easily "spread" through a community. But more & more people are choosing not to vaccinate, which is taking the protection of herd immunity away. Most outbreaks of diseases (like measles) occur in areas where more & more people have chosen not to vaccinate (for whatever reason). My personal opinion is that if parents want to choose not to vaccinate & choose to take the risk with their child, then that is their choice. It does bother me though that something like measles, where now all young babies are put at risk from other peoples choices. I think that most people who choose not to vaccine genuinely aren't aware of the risks because most of them just assume that these illnesses aren't an issue anymore.

Florida here. And I know you do not need to have your kids vaccinated to be in public school. How? Because my kid was not. Before I Get jumped here....let me explain that I do have a Autistic son, and no, I do not believe vaccines cause Autism. However- I was uncomfortable with the way the series of vaccines is administered, so staggered out them over a longer period of time than what was convenient. He is current now, but I will never allow more than one vaccine to be administered at once. Do you know what is the preservative mixed with these vaccines? You would go faint, I am sure! I could go on about my own little theories concerning this, but.....just do research, AND find out whom is releasing these studies. More often than not, it's a company that produces and sells same vaccines.....

Back
Top Bottom