Rescue Barred Rock- Help!

Very good advice. Some chickens (mine) LOVE a nice warm soak! They fall asleep-so don’t leave her alone. Get a chair so You’ll be comfy. I have a (3gal) water can full of water handy I’ll dump and refill her little tub. I use the can cause it’s easier to do it all one handed (I’ll hold the girl while refilling.)
She might not even put up the least bit of resistance.
Once they know what a soak is they come to love them.
Have a hen who I’d soak 3-4 times a week in the beginning of her treatment for a terrible wound. When it was time to stop soaking her she would look up at her tub on the shelf in the garage like “hey! I want that” too funny.
Send us some updated pictures please when ever you get a chance.

Great ideas guys. She’s pretty calm when held and didn’t mind the foot soak so fingers crossed! We’ll get her soaked tonight and send follow up photos. Thanks!

:welcome :frow I really can't add much to the good advice of the other posters. I had mites this year for the first time. I don't know where they came from because I don't bring any birds from the outside and introduce them to my flocks and luckily I only found them in one coop but I sprayed all of the coops as a precaution. When I first discovered them I gave the birds a couple of flea soap baths. It helped but I still found some mites. I sprayed every nook and cranny in the coops because mites like to hide in the cracks and crevices and some only come out at night to feed on the birds. I think that is why you girl is in such poor condition. I sprayed everything in the coops, floors, walls, ceiling on and under the roosts and inside and outside of the nest boxes. I originally sprayed weekly because the permethrins do not kill the mite eggs. I haven't noticed anymore mites but now I spray about once a month as a precaution. For the first spray after doing some research I did go a little heavy on the permethrin spray in the coops and less which each successive spray. So far so good. Good luck.

Yup warm water up to her shoulders. Just keep her head and face dry and from going under. Hold tight. Shell fight at first the settle into it. Hold on to her so she doesnt slide under. Wear gloves and get comfy. Have warm clean water ready to dip her in to rinse. You can lightly slosh the water around to loosen stuff. Dont rubb to vigorously dont rub to dry. Gentle heat on blow dryer to dry. After you squeeze most water out with a towel.

Prepare to be grossed out. No bug powders on her until she's totally dry.

After the soak how many more permethrin treatments should she go through? Should I give her a soak every time or could I just give her a permethrin dust bath? Thanks!

You should be good with one bath. That was pretty much to get rid of the old coop grime and to soak off any mites and loose eggs and feathers. Treat her when she is dry with dust, and then again in 7 days with more dust. Dust will kill living, then you're going back and killing more eggs that hatch. Treat again 7 days after. Stay on top of those legs though! You're smothering those *&*%! living under the leg scales.

You can feed extra protein in the meantime if you can swing it. Either 18% protein feed, or a scrambled egg or low fat meat scraps a day. She'll need it for energy and feather production. Make sure she gets grit during her rehab and confinement.

Very good advice. Some chickens (mine) LOVE a nice warm soak! They fall asleep-so don’t leave her alone. Get a chair so You’ll be comfy. I have a (3gal) water can full of water handy I’ll dump and refill her little tub. I use the can cause it’s easier to do it all one handed (I’ll hold the girl while refilling.)
She might not even put up the least bit of resistance.
Once they know what a soak is they come to love them.
Have a hen who I’d soak 3-4 times a week in the beginning of her treatment for a terrible wound. When it was time to stop soaking her she would look up at her tub on the shelf in the garage like “hey! I want that” too funny.
Send us some updated pictures please when ever you get a chance.

So the bath went GREAT. She didn’t fight it one bit. I saw a great improvement in her vent and belly skin( although there are still some dry flakey patches, most of it sloughed off in the bath. She had a few larger pin feather holes that were filled with a white sticky substance, (ingrown feathers?) So we’ve let those be for now. She’s about 95% dry, but she’ll sleep inside tonight where she’s warm and dry. (It’s raining here.) Tomorrow when she’s full dry she’ll get a dust bath. Below are some photos of during treatment and a banana reward for putting up with it.

Attachments

• 6B78517A-37F4-4B5F-A7B6-6540C82CCE8D.jpeg
    6B78517A-37F4-4B5F-A7B6-6540C82CCE8D.jpeg
    328.3 KB · Views: 32
  • BA6B2183-0CB0-4D03-9E1D-4D0F7380F794.jpeg
    BA6B2183-0CB0-4D03-9E1D-4D0F7380F794.jpeg
    462.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 6A2DA78D-8CF7-4AA4-AC7C-7BA216FD0F00.jpeg
    6A2DA78D-8CF7-4AA4-AC7C-7BA216FD0F00.jpeg
    479 KB · Views: 30
  • 8D2473F8-FF54-4BC7-A2DE-5CF7B2A1FE06.jpeg
    8D2473F8-FF54-4BC7-A2DE-5CF7B2A1FE06.jpeg
    450.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 2D0BCAA3-D02D-4792-87DF-B3460A66F550.jpeg
    2D0BCAA3-D02D-4792-87DF-B3460A66F550.jpeg
    584.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 2ED8194C-04E0-43F9-BAA2-C41D96FE47A5.jpeg
    2ED8194C-04E0-43F9-BAA2-C41D96FE47A5.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 33
Might be feather mites. She plans on treating and retreating.

So, my newest issue today is that she hasn’t laid any eggs. We brought her home on Thursday, and she hasn’t laid. I know that’s not normal for her, and I’m concerned about her potentially being egg-bound. She seems still very lethargic and tired, she doesn’t move a lot, prefers to sit, and when standing tends to lean to one side and favor one leg.( no sign of Bumblefoot) However she does still poop, and apart from being fairly smelly, it is a normal looking poop. What should I do next?

Back
Top Bottom