Rescue chicken just died of unknown reason

Butlers_rescues

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2019
Hi all, we have just lost one of our ex battery hens after 6 months of freedom. We are unsure of the reasons so any help would be appreciated as we don't want to loose any more!

Our hens are roughly 2 years old now and have slowed down laying. One of them went quiet a few days ago, would spend the day in the nesting box or coop wings out slightly standing. Her crop was soft and comb starting to flop. Yesterday she got worse and since then has been laying down all the time not eating or drinking. Sadly she has just died in my arms. Before she died her crop was large but stodgy, she would lay on her side slightly and eyes closed whilst i stroked her. She excreted a light brownish liquid from her mouth as she died it was awful.

We now have 7 hens of the same age and at present seem healthy. Any advice on what may have caused her death and prevention tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all

x

Hi all, we have just lost one of our ex battery hens after 6 months of freedom. We are unsure of the reasons so any help would be appreciated as we don't want to loose any more!

Our hens are roughly 2 years old now and have slowed down laying. One of them went quiet a few days ago, would spend the day in the nesting box or coop wings out slightly standing. Her crop was soft and comb starting to flop. Yesterday she got worse and since then has been laying down all the time not eating or drinking. Sadly she has just died in my arms. Before she died her crop was large but stodgy, she would lay on her side slightly and eyes closed whilst i stroked her. She excreted a light brownish liquid from her mouth as she died it was awful.

We now have 7 hens of the same age and at present seem healthy. Any advice on what may have caused her death and prevention tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all

x
I'm so sorry! How sad to have her die in your arms. :hugs

I think you should get a necropsy, or perform one yourself if you are able. There are online videos showing how, and people on here will help you out. I've never done one, so I can't say how. I think it's really the only way to know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom