Rescue chicken just died of unknown reason

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Butlers_rescues, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Butlers_rescues

Butlers_rescues In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2019
    Hi all, we have just lost one of our ex battery hens after 6 months of freedom. We are unsure of the reasons so any help would be appreciated as we don't want to loose any more!

Our hens are roughly 2 years old now and have slowed down laying. One of them went quiet a few days ago, would spend the day in the nesting box or coop wings out slightly standing. Her crop was soft and comb starting to flop. Yesterday she got worse and since then has been laying down all the time not eating or drinking. Sadly she has just died in my arms. Before she died her crop was large but stodgy, she would lay on her side slightly and eyes closed whilst i stroked her. She excreted a light brownish liquid from her mouth as she died it was awful.

We now have 7 hens of the same age and at present seem healthy. Any advice on what may have caused her death and prevention tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all

x

2. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Free Ranging

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    I'm so sorry! How sad to have her die in your arms. :hugs

I think you should get a necropsy, or perform one yourself if you are able. There are online videos showing how, and people on here will help you out. I've never done one, so I can't say how. I think it's really the only way to know for sure.

3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Partially Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC.
    I am sorry for your loss.

Are you in the US?

4. Butlers_rescues

Butlers_rescues In the Brooder

Sep 19, 2019
    Hi, I am in the UK.

5. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Welcome.
    Sorry for your loss.
    It sounds as if she had a reproductive disorder that caused crop malfunction.

6. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Partially Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I was going to post a link to where you could get a necropsy done but I only know the US places, sorry.

I agree with @DobieLover above.

Have you ever dewormed your girls?

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - sorry for your loss. Sadly production birds are prone to developing reproductive tract disorders.

8. 007Sean

007Sean Saint of the Sinners

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC! Sorry to hear of your loss. :hugs

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree with Dobie Lover and Sourland. So very sorry for her loss.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  10. townchicks

townchicks Free Ranging

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    Sorry for your loss. I'm sure she had a much better life with you, however short it was. I agree a necropsy is the best way to know for sure. Is there a vet that might do one for you, or advise you where to send her? Sometimes a veterinary university will do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: