Andrea3000

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2020
My sister and brother in law have a farm and have 30 chickens. This spring, when they introduced the most recent batch into the established flock, one of the new teenagers got picked on. Her head was bloodied and bald and she was terrified. We separated her out, cleaned her wounds daily and nursed her back to health. Following all the advice they’d been given from other farmers/chicken owners, we tried reintroducing her. Long story short, didn’t work. She couldn’t live in the temporary box they had her in while recuperating, so eventually my BIL built me a portable chicken coop and I agreed to take her. She is healthy again and roams my yard during the day (in town, 8 foot privacy fence). I guess my questions are... I know they are not solitary birds. But I am not getting a bunch of chickens. How unhappy do you think she will be? I desperately want to make her life as enjoyable as possible. Also, do you think her lack of growing up with the flock will affect her adjustment at all? She won’t touch the nesting box I gave her. Still introducing a roost by placing it in the yard for her to discover on her own. Will she eventually lay instinctively? Or will she have trouble since she’s solo? I don’t know. I have a million questions but I really just worry about her happiness. Any advice or insight would be appreciated. Thank you! Edit: I’m adding a pic of her humble abode.
7D678E93-B97A-4C8D-B907-6D446BEF2FD6.jpeg

Last edited:
How old is the hen?
You can put some golf balls in the nest box to encourage her to lay in there.
She'll eventually figure out that she can go onto the roost. It takes my chickens several months before they start using any new roosts I give them.
If it's possible, I would get two more chickens to keep her company. Chickens really need companionship, and we just can't be with them often enough to replace real flock mates.

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Get her a single friend instead of a bunch, if you're able.. use a look but don't touch set up (like a dog kennel) for a few hours to a few days depending on need, then allow to free range together.

Did they use look but don't touch when they reintroduced her?

Put a roost in her coop and then put her on it after dark.. teach her to roost. She will naturally lay when she is ready. A fake egg to show them others think it's safe there can help direct them where you want them to lay. They usually completely ignore the boxes until that time approaches. Hopefully soon. :fl

Depending on your location she may need a friend to keep warm with through winter. They will thrive with at least a buddy.. Very kind of you take her in and aim to give her a great life! :hugs

How old is the hen?
You can put some golf balls in the nest box to encourage her to lay in there.
She'll eventually figure out that she can go onto the roost. It takes my chickens several months before they start using any new roosts I give them.
If it's possible, I would get two more chickens to keep her company. Chickens really need companionship, and we just can't be with them often enough to replace real flock mates.
She is almost 6 months old. Thank you!

:welcome Chickens do better in flocks, but it sounds as if she has adapted to her new life. Laying is an innate thing. She doesn't need anyone else to show her how. Enjoy her.
Thank you. I really hope she does well. If another rescue chicken came along perhaps I could make that happen, but I was really pushing it bringing her home in terms of my husband lol. I had to convince him she is a “foster” haha!! He knows she’s ours, though, and he likes her now.

Get her a single friend instead of a bunch, if you're able.. use a look but don't touch set up (like a dog kennel) for a few hours to a few days depending on need, then allow to free range together.

Put a roost in her coop and then put her on it after dark.. teach her to roost. She will naturally lay when she is ready. A fake egg to show them others think it's safe there can help direct them where you want them to lay. They usually completely ignore the boxes until that time approaches. Hopefully soon. :fl

Depending on your location she may need a friend to keep warm with through winter. They will thrive with at least a buddy.. Very kind of you take her in and aim to give her a great life! :hugs

yes they tried the look, don’t touch. :( I am in Illinois, so winters are cold, but her coop is on wheels so she will go in the garage to stay warm. :) thank you also for the reassurance with the roost and the nesting box. She is still young and figuring things out I’d imagine so I’ll be patient and try placing her on the roost tonight when she goes to bed. Thank you again!

I added a picture of her home.

Chickens do prefer being in groups, but the groups can be as small as 2 or 3 hens. I would get her 1-2 more friends if you are able too.
I wish I could, but I don’t know that that is an option. Her home was custom built for her, and I don’t know if there’s room for another adult chicken...

Back
Top Bottom