Rescue chicken

Sep 27, 2021
A neighbor asked if we could take their lone chicken "Maple" after a racoon attack. We've got her in a quarantine pen on the other side of the house. They said she survived a previous racoon attack and they thought they'd fixed the issue but they hadn't and they lost the other one.

She hasn't been eating or drinking well they said. She's been hiding in a small space filled with poop and dirt the past couple of days. They said she hasn't been doing well at all. She looks rough. I think she has mites, so I treated her with poultry dust. She's got dark spots all over her feathers and it looked like some eggs possibly at the base of the feathers. she's missing some feathers on her belly. I noticed her leg scales are lifted and dirty underneath. Scaly leg mites? She has a couple of scales off and what looks like a some scrapes, wondering if that was from the raccoon. She's mostly keeping her left eye closed, but it doesn't look swollen or hurt. When she does open it, she doesn't seem to be looking out of it and her head is a little sideways. Not sure if she is just keeping it closed to sleep because she's alone or if it was hurt in the racoon attack or of she's got something else going on. She's pooping water with some grass. Her crop feels normal. It was hot today. She has some dried poop on her feathers, but her vent looks normal. Her feathers are all messed up and broken, though she is preening herself and softly cooing, walking around, tried to dart out of the fence a few times but can't fit through. She ate some watermelon and a little bit of feed that I soaked in the watermelon juice. Pecks at sunflower seeds but doesn't eat them. She ate some greens my son hand fed her.

Other than the poultry dust and maybe some vaseline for her legs, any adnice on how to get her up to snuff and how long we should keep her in the quarantine coop? It's not as secure as the regular coop, it's near where they're likely going to be doing some work for the utilities in the near future and last time they worked on it it was extremely loud, and she's lonely without a flock. What I do about integrating when it's time? Do I pull one of the calmer flock members (probably the lowest one is the only choice) to be with her and then introduce them back together? Or just introduce her as a lone chicken? We have 2 older hens, and a bonded cockerel and pullet (9 mo old). They flock together, but I can't say any of them are the best of friends other than the younger two. Also, the cockerel is sneezing. No idea what to do about that.

I'd keep her quarantined for 30 days at least so you can observe for other symptoms.
Get rid of the lice/mites, treat the SLM too. Deworm and figure out what's going on with the eye whether it's injury or swelling due to mites, disease, etc.

Check her well for injuries, if she's lethargic and not eating/drinking well. I'd offer normal poultry feed along with a bit of extra protein (egg, meat, fish). Vitamins in her water may not be a bad idea for a week or you can direct dose her.

Back
Top Bottom