Rescue Chickens can’t roost

kattfink

Songster
Jul 4, 2019
VIC, AUSTRALIA
I rescued 4 Isa Browns from a caged environment. There were 50 of them all kept in a shed. They are approx 8 months old and very clumsy on their feet. I’m wondering if they have long term damage from being kept in cages? They struggle to step up onto things, and really stumble over a wooden ladder I have lying about 20cm off the ground. Will they ever be able to grip things with their feet? Let alone perch?

Don't worry, they will learn. My ex battery hens did the same when we rescued last September. They slept all together in a corner of the coop and didn't perch. Maybe they enjoyed the warm straw under their feet used to feel the cold wire of the cages. I set a small pallet in that corner to let them get used to it and learn to grasp it. After few days they became more confident with the environment and they began to sleep in the roosting bars I've built for that use, but one of them is still sleeping on the pallet. If she is happy...I'm happy too!

Ps: someone had long nails, now the nails are perfect.
Screenshot_20200301-141040_Video Player-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't worry, they will learn. My ex battery hens did the same when we rescued last September. They slept all together in a corner of the coop and didn't perch. Maybe they enjoyed the warm straw under their feet used to feel the cold wire of the cages. I set a small pallet in that corner to let them get used to it and learn to grasp it. After few days they became more confident with the environment and they began to sleep in the roosting bars I've built for that use, but one of them is still sleeping on the pallet. If she is happy...I'm happy too!

Ps: someone had long nails, now the nails are perfect.View attachment 2104782
That's great to hear! Thanks, you have re-assured me that they will adjust. Those posts are a good idea... nice and thick.

Back
Top Bottom