1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rescue chickens in San Antonio, TX where can I find some?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by PeppermintHen, Sep 8, 2007.

1. PeppermintHen

PeppermintHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Hi I'm located in San Antonio, TX and looking to adopt some rescue chickens. Unfortunately I cannot find a shelter that offers this type of service. Maybe someone on the forum knows of one I have not yet come accross. Just asking -- Yvette

2. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Try the health dept. They use chickens this time of year to check for west nile virus. They adopt them out at the end of the season. I'm getting two in a couple of weeks.

By the way the chickens you adopt do not have west nile virus the birds that become infected are put down.

Marsha

3. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    sometimes they're listed on petfinder.com

4. eggcetra_farms

eggcetra_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Yvette,

Just checked out petfinder for you and no luck. The closest chickens on there are in Oklahoma, I believe. I'll keep an eye out for you though.

Jessica

5. eggcetra_farms

eggcetra_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    They're not rescue chickens, but I found this ad on Craigslist. Not sure if they're still available (check date of post), but you could still call and ask.
    Posted on 1 AUG 07
    chickens- young healthy chicks....
    I have about 50 chicks between age 1 day to 3 months old. just reimburse me a small $5. bag of chicken scratch. or will trade for duck, geese, turkey or peafowl or their eggs.
    i am south of San Antonio, between Somerset & Poteet. I have all colors - mix bred chicks. 830-276-3737
    You may also want to check the Express-New's classified ads. I've found chickens in there before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by