Rescue Chickens

Prairiewillow

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2015
Last night we picked up 3 hens from a lady who didnt have time to take care of them properly anymore.... I was kind, but.... um Major understatement! Their coop was Way too small and 6 inches deep in poop (not litter, just Poop), their food was rancid and had been for who knows how long and they were living off their own eggs and some scratch grain... They arent overly thin, but have been feather picking and their butts are filthy, I think from constantly sitting in their own waste. I have them quarantined in the fenced in area (the other chickens wont stay in, so they free range most of the time) and they seem Soooo happy to be free and eating bugs and greens! If anybody has any ideas that might help them get healthier and assimilate into my flock, it would be much appreciated! By the way, their names are Wilma, the Buff Orpington, and the two Black Australorps, both named Betty.

good for you!
are they quarantined at least 100 feet away from your existing flock? i didn't and I am still paying the price 1\2 year later. That is really gross, you should check (if you haven't already!) that they do not have fly strike. it's highly probable given the conditions they came form.
thumbsup.gif
Again, good for you on rescuing them!!

Just thought I would report that Wilma and the Bettys are doing well. They have started laying again and seem to like having some freedom to move. They arent quite ready to come near the people yet, but they will learn that "Lady with Food" isnt so bad. I am wondering though, if I should maybe dose them with some dewormer and maybe treat for lice/mites, just in case?

Back
Top Bottom