Rescue chickens

You definitely should!

It's not only a very kind thing to do, but it's also extremely rewarding, I'm loving it!

I don't want to elaborate on the details of what I've learned about the chicken industry as it's too depressing, but the main reason is that they have a few months of decreased egg laying, which they use as en excuse to kill every single chicken and clean out the shed (yes, they don't clean properly for 1.5 years) and fill it with new chickens. The meat isn't good enough, so they are either thrown away or end up as pet food.

My last rescue chooks were carried out by their legs to my contact person four weeks before they killed the remaining 21,000.

It's worth mentioning that this particular factory was about to get the SPCA's certificate as free range, as they were planning on opening a door at the back leading out to a mud plain at the back of the sheds. The number of chickens who would actually make it out into the mud would have been symbolic at best.

So yes, I only saved 4, but they have a wonderful life and it's better than none at all!
❤️

The hens in the egg industry have been laying for about 18 months before they are considered “spent”. In the industry once birds no longer lay 7 eggs a week (they may be laying 6 eggs a week) they are force molted (you don’t want to know how they force molt them) to shock their bodies into a final round of egg production and then they are packed up a few weeks later and sent to their death.

That would be awesome to show these pics bc mostly online they show meatbird cruelty but I wanted to show egg layers too. There is an awareness in the general population, but it's slight and they are only slightly aware. Some are getting the news that free range isn't what they think but have no idea of the true conditions, imo. So seeing these pics i can link them to my powerpoint and display the truth. I usually put up a cute pic that gets 'awwws' bc they also don't see cute chickens, they usually see the basic chicken from a far off view pecking in the grass so I bring that aspect, and then show them something like your girl... in fact showing the before and after (after she gets good care) would be impactful I believe. Here's an example of a cute pic to bring in their attention
View attachment 1590464

That is a seriously cute chook!

I would be happy to rummage through my pictures for a few high res pictures from before and after.

I'm sorry my reply took some time, but I must have mis-clicked somewhere, as I didn't get any notification that there was a reply.

I'll keep a closer eye on things from now on.

No problem! I just figured I'd refer to the pics in your first post worst case scenario :)

I already emailed the thread to myself so I wouldn't lose it

Thanks so much!

No problem! I just figured I'd refer to the pics in your first post worst case scenario :)

I already emailed the thread to myself so I wouldn't lose it

Thanks so much!
I may be a bit thick, as I'm not entirely sure if you want me to send a few high res pictures of 'before' and as many 'after' as I can find.

Btw, I just wrote down a little eulogy for Boudie (Boudicea) that I lost last week and found this amazing picture of her that was taken just a week after I rescued her:
very-early-2-small.JPG

I know she's in a terrible state, but she is so young and cute in that picture. She had a wonderful life with me and the other chooks.

If it's not a issue you can put your pics on this thread, and I'll use them off of here, with the system I'll be using they should be nice and clear. This will be very helpful in educating them on what really goes on

So glad these chickens found you, and those like you! :thumbsup

If it's not a issue you can put your pics on this thread, and I'll use them off of here, with the system I'll be using they should be nice and clear. This will be very helpful in educating them on what really goes on

So glad these chickens found you, and those like you! :thumbsup

Sorry for the delay. One of my chooks got really sick and I had to tend to her and take her to the vet. She recovered miraculously!

I ran out of time, but I managed to dig up two pictures of my first batch of rescue chooks. I didn't find any good early pictures of the second batch, but I picked three: on very early on, one after a month and one after 2 months.

I'll attach the two pictures of my first batch, but the all the full resolution pictures can be downloaded from this Google Drive:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RBgkPOXd6mmUicEJZlrQsp4-sfodaQ6t

This is my first rescue chooks very early on:
b4-1b-group.JPG

These are the same chooks when they've recovered:
after-1b-group.JPG

I still can't believe it when I see it :)

Sorry for the delay. One of my chooks got really sick and I had to tend to her and take her to the vet. She recovered miraculously!

I ran out of time, but I managed to dig up two pictures of my first batch of rescue chooks. I didn't find any good early pictures of the second batch, but I picked three: on very early on, one after a month and one after 2 months.

I'll attach the two pictures of my first batch, but the all the full resolution pictures can be downloaded from this Google Drive:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RBgkPOXd6mmUicEJZlrQsp4-sfodaQ6t

This is my first rescue chooks very early on:
View attachment 1596933

These are the same chooks when they've recovered:
View attachment 1596934

I still can't believe it when I see it :)

thanks so much, i loaded the pics onto my presentation slides and they are looking good, very good proof of what a chicken should look like after healing from the mistreatment!

thanks so much, i loaded the pics onto my presentation slides and they are looking good, very good proof of what a chicken should look like after healing from the mistreatment!

That makes me so happy to hear. I'm so glad that people will get a chance to see what state they are in, but more importantly how well the respond to being treated properly.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom