Rescued 3 Week Old Quail - Need Advice

clownpooles

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2021
I live in the US Southwest and unfortunately I caught my dog with this baby quail in our backyard 2 days ago. Its in the middle of summer right now in the desert so it's incredibly hot out. Thankfully my dog wasn't biting down on her and was just curious.

Ants were already starting to approach her, and she wasn't moving at all and had her eyes closed. I picked her up, picked the ants off and immediately gave her some water in a little bottle cap which she immediately drank. I also searched my backyard high and low and could not find any family members

After a day of calling rescues/organizations/vets/pet stores (I even drove all the way across town to be turned away at a wild bird rescue, who examined her and said she isn't injured just malnutritioned), I realized I would have to be the one to care for her since nobody wanted her. So, I got an old bird cage, lined it with some towels and set up a little home for her in my house. Now I am going to go into my care regimen as well as her status and I'd like to see if I'm doing anything gravely wrong, and what you guys think about the chance of her survival.

So, a few things about her health, she is very small, about the size of the palm of my hand, and judging by the way she looks she seems to be somewhere between 2 - 3 weeks old, and I think she is a California quail. I call her "she" because I think she's a girl, but I could totally be wrong about that. She has energy, is alert, is a great eater and drinker, but can't walk and is missing some feathers on her back end. She also has a little abrasion on her back that I think was from the hot pavement where I found her. She does not walk or peep, but vivaciously scoots around the enclosure (it's quite cute). I see that both of her legs are moving, and she does seem to be gaining strength, but she can't quite walk yet.

I've been feeding her a daily diet of starter chick crumble, a spoonful of scrambled eggs with shell in it, some fresh arugula, and freeze-dried mealworms, all of which she enthusiastically eats. I also play quail sounds for her from Youtube, and I have one of those water bottles that you can fill with hot water that I put very warm water in and cover with a towel, and she likes to lay on that. I change the warm water out for her a few times a day so it stays warm for her. I also gave her a little snuggle corner with cotton balls and I cover her enclosure at night with fabric and turn the lights out for her.

Here are some photos of her - I would love to see this baby survive but I want to make sure I'm doing right by her. What do ya'll think? Does she have a chance at survival?

The first 2 photos I have attached were right when I found her, and the third one is from today. (3 days later)

Attachments

• baby.jpg
    baby.jpg
    689.3 KB · Views: 65
  • baby2.jpg
    baby2.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 45
  • baby3.jpg
    baby3.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 42
She looks like a button quail to me. That means she's probably someone's pet. She will need game bird crumble. Keep her warm. For a while, if you have any Nutri-Drench or Save-a-Chick to add to her water, it might help.

If she is a button quail, she does, in fact look to be a female.
Thank you for the insight!

I live in the US Southwest and unfortunately I caught my dog with this baby quail in our backyard 2 days ago. Its in the middle of summer right now in the desert so it's incredibly hot out. Thankfully my dog wasn't biting down on her and was just curious.

Ants were already starting to approach her, and she wasn't moving at all and had her eyes closed. I picked her up, picked the ants off and immediately gave her some water in a little bottle cap which she immediately drank. I also searched my backyard high and low and could not find any family members

After a day of calling rescues/organizations/vets/pet stores (I even drove all the way across town to be turned away at a wild bird rescue, who examined her and said she isn't injured just malnutritioned), I realized I would have to be the one to care for her since nobody wanted her. So, I got an old bird cage, lined it with some towels and set up a little home for her in my house. Now I am going to go into my care regimen as well as her status and I'd like to see if I'm doing anything gravely wrong, and what you guys think about the chance of her survival.

So, a few things about her health, she is very small, about the size of the palm of my hand, and judging by the way she looks she seems to be somewhere between 2 - 3 weeks old, and I think she is a California quail. I call her "she" because I think she's a girl, but I could totally be wrong about that. She has energy, is alert, is a great eater and drinker, but can't walk and is missing some feathers on her back end. She also has a little abrasion on her back that I think was from the hot pavement where I found her. She does not walk or peep, but vivaciously scoots around the enclosure (it's quite cute). I see that both of her legs are moving, and she does seem to be gaining strength, but she can't quite walk yet.

I've been feeding her a daily diet of starter chick crumble, a spoonful of scrambled eggs with shell in it, some fresh arugula, and freeze-dried mealworms, all of which she enthusiastically eats. I also play quail sounds for her from Youtube, and I have one of those water bottles that you can fill with hot water that I put very warm water in and cover with a towel, and she likes to lay on that. I change the warm water out for her a few times a day so it stays warm for her. I also gave her a little snuggle corner with cotton balls and I cover her enclosure at night with fabric and turn the lights out for her.

Here are some photos of her - I would love to see this baby survive but I want to make sure I'm doing right by her. What do ya'll think? Does she have a chance at survival?

The first 2 photos I have attached were right when I found her, and the third one is from today. (3 days later)
UPDATE: thank you guys for helping me identify what type she is. She seems to be gaining energy, is continuing to eat and drink, and I understand now that she is a golden pearl button quail. I’ve posted in my local fb group as well as nextdoor in case someone’s looking for her, I think she was a pet and a predator such as a cat got her and dropped her in my yard and she had been there for a long time, like overnight perhaps. Anyway, she now peeps. I played a button quail sounds video for her and she peeped and cried. It almost made my bf and I cry it was very sad. I feel terrible that she’s alone. I think if she reaches the point where she can walk I might think about getting her a mate. Other than making her habitat perfect for a button quail, how do I make her happy?

She looks like a button quail to me. That means she's probably someone's pet. She will need game bird crumble. Keep her warm. For a while, if you have any Nutri-Drench or Save-a-Chick to add to her water, it might help.

If she is a button quail, she does, in fact look to be a female.
Aww, you are doing great. She’s beautiful 😊

Back
Top Bottom