Rescued a bunny

sheila3935

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 10, 2010
Stonington, illinois
Last night my DH and I went to a friends house to pick up a table. While there their 9 year old daughter asked me if I wanted their bunny. She was tired of taking care of the bunny. She took me out to a shed that had holes and missing boards on it. Inside the bunny sat in a small cage with no bedding or anything to keep her warm. She had no water in her bottle and no food in the cage although they had half a 25lb bag of food there. I picked her up and she is very skinny and not very active. She held very still snuggling in my coat. I looked at my DH and said we'll take her home. Needless to say he gives me a major stinkeye, but says nothing. I got her home put her in a big cage with bedding clean water and food. She is staying in my DH's mancave where there is heat til she fattens up and gets healthy again. Today after some good food and warm bed she is alot more active. She is such a sweetie. I cant understand how parents can expect a 9 year old to totally care for an animal without checking on the animal. I know they wanted to teach her responibility, but why wasnt they checking up on her. I dont blame the girl for the condition of this bunny. I blame the parents. I dont know why people get children animals that they really dont want. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Poor bunny. How sweet of you to take her in. I'm glad she's doing better already. She's lucky you took her. I can't say I disagree with you on anything.

Thank goodness for bunny that you went to pick up that table...it will add a soft and loving touch to the man den.
bun.gif

Mrs. Feathers :

Thank goodness for bunny that you went to pick up that table...it will add a soft and loving touch to the man den.
bun.gif

The bunny that is
smile.png

Thank you all. She is such a sweet thing. When she gets better I am going to put her in the coop with the chickens so she will have some company. Right now she is next to my broody momma and her babies. They can see each other and it really seems like they like each other. They look at each other through the cages and momma talks to her. I think momma hen is trying to baby her. She does this soft little cluck to her and then bunny will come to that side of the cage and wiggle her nose at her. Its so cute. She is probably glad she is not alone. Maybe after I am absolutly sure she is a girl I will get another doe for her a friend, but I want to make sure of the sex. I havent sexed her yet as I am letting her get settled down. I dont want to stress her anymore then she is already.

Last edited:
That is so adorable! What a nice broody. It sounds like she's doing great and very happy.

I did laugh when I read that she was next to your broody and her chicks. So they're in the mancave, too. No wonder you got the stinkeye! He knew where that bunny was headed!"
lol.png

Quote:
Yes I have heard the same, if they have grown up together two unspayed females can live together but putting them together later they can fight.
That being said....I have never tried
smile.png
so have no personal experience.

Back
Top Bottom