rescued a duckling, UPDATE WITH PICS on page 6!!

Luke0987654321

Songster
13 Years
Aug 10, 2009
yesturday, i was at the local market,
and saw 4 boys KICKING a duckling that they had bought from the market,
i went over to them and they ran off leaving the duckling in the street,
it took some time to catch the little thing, it doesnt look like anything is wrong
with it, the only thing that was wrong with it was its feet were very dry and
cracked it is eating and drinking perfectly, i have never had duck before, so i
have no idea what breed it is, is there a way to sex it, like vent sexing??
here are some pics i took, it has light pink / white legs and the same for its bill but a bit darker
any idea on breed??

38781_dscn1221.jpg

38781_dscn1224.jpg

38781_dscn1225.jpg

38781_dscn1226.jpg

38781_dscn1227.jpg

38781_dscn1228.jpg

38781_dscn1229.jpg

38781_dscn1230.jpg

38781_dscn1231.jpg

38781_dscn1232.jpg

38781_dscn1235.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like a muscovy duckling to me, very, very cute!

I just don't get why someone would harm cute little animals like that. I don't know if it will do any good, but you might want to tell the people who sold him what those boys did as soon as they bought him. Perhaps, next time, they won't sell them any more ducklings.

Edited due to typo.

Last edited:
I'm unsure on the breed as well, but I just wanted to thank you for saving that poor baby.
Look at that sweet little face.
love.gif

Quote:
don't worry i have their number and i have allready rung up and told them,
they said that they know the boy's family and will tell them
lol.png

luke.

It does look very cute. It still looks very young and I would still give it a heat lamp. A regular light bulb from 2 feet above will do just fine. I would start with a 75 watt one and see how it likes it. It needs less of it, if it move away from it. Also make sure it does get enough niacin, since commercial poultry or even duck food never has enough of it. You can either get an electrolyte/vitamin/mineral mix at the feed store, or just buy regular niacin at Walmart in the vitamin isle. You need to mix 100mg per 1 gallon of drinking water and offer it for 2 weeks daily, after that weekly until about 3 months old. After that once per month is fine. This will create strong bones and a healthy neurological system. Ducklings need lots of it or they may end up with weaknesses. Greens at treats are great, but avoid spinach due to its iron content. Peas are a wonderful treat and help to train it. Not sure what breed it is, but I tend to say Muscovy too. I would advise against sex venting, because you can hurt it doing it, and you may not be able to tell for sure without training. Here is a very good video about how to do it.
http://www.metzerfarms.com/SexingVideo.cfm

It looks like a Muscovy Duckling(Black Barred). The bill looks Very Muscovy to me.... Maybe a Drakelet, it has awfully thick legs & big feet already. BE CAREFUL! you will fall madly in love with him VERY quickly!!
tongue.png

I would have kicked those boys if I could have caught them! There's really somehting not right about a kid who would do something like that to an animal, especially a baby.
somad.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
If you compared that picture with the first ones, the bill and legs are different colors, and the SA legs are thinner.

Back
Top Bottom