"Rescued" a Great Horned Owl - Update on page 4!!!

Good for you! We have a pair of GHOs living in our grove. At night we can hear them hooting back and forth to each other. A couple of nights ago just at dusk, one landed in a tree outside my livingroom window so I could see it silhouette. They are big, beautiful birds.

Well, just got off the phone with the vet's office. The owl was sent to the rehab center yesterday afternoon so the outlook is good for him.
wee.gif
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif
celebrate.gif
bun.gif

Congratulations! That was a great story and good news from the vet, thanks for sharing. I once rescued a barred owl and to look into their eyes at such a close range is amazing.

Quote:
Nope, Hootie was a baby. All down and fluff except for his wings. I was told GHO's stay with their parents longer than any other owl. They hatch before winter completely ends and don't leave their parents until fall. But they don't stay in a nest. They follow their parents from tree to tree around the hunting grounds. Tht's why I could put Hootie in a tree and 'he' was gone in the morning; he followed his parents away from there.

And I looked HARD for any ground sign the next morning. None. So he could fly a pretty good way with the right encouragement.

Quote:
No, other than they couldn't find any injuries. It was probably a combination of needing to eat, a little dehydration, and stress.

Back
Top Bottom