Aug 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Hey all, I posted over in Injuries/Diseases/Emergencies the other day when I found myself with a pigeon who was attacked by a raccoon. This is that thread: Raccoon attacked pigeon /pictures of wounds

I came here to ask about everything. Housing, feed, general care, etc. Also if anyone knows the gender and age I would like it all please. I have 5 years experience of just feeding and watering homing pigeons, that were in a coop with chickens, but besides scooping the feed, filling the waterers, and letting them in and out every morning I have no other knowledge. Especially for a younger pigeon :barnie thank you all in advance, here are some photos

3E089450-8F80-422A-BBCC-D25E82F85A8E.jpeg
4C1F74BC-B4D0-4A36-9E1E-EE64784BFC9B.jpeg
E44BEDD8-1A55-4A24-9747-FCA21787B8EF.jpeg

It looks like a young bird to me, I’m not sure of the exact age though. I’m not sure about gender either.

For housing it should be kept in a drift free area, and it should be dry and well ventilated. Water should be changed daily. You could either get an already mixed pigeon feed, or mix your own. Also, oyster grit can be added to the feed for more calcium I think it is. Worming should be done as often as the wormer used says, it could be every 3 - 6 months.

There’s more but I’m sure another person will cover it.

It looks like a young bird to me, I’m not sure of the exact age though. I’m not sure about gender either.

For housing it should be kept in a drift free area, and it should be dry and well ventilated. Water should be changed daily. You could either get an already mixed pigeon feed, or mix your own. Also, oyster grit can be added to the feed for more calcium I think it is. Worming should be done as often as the wormer used says, it could be every 3 - 6 months.

There’s more but I’m sure another person will cover it.

Thank you! I was wondering if I could have it live in my main chicken coop? And if so what kind of accommodations would I need to make for it?

I haven’t seen the raccoon since our face to face visit.. I’m worried the adult/parent pigeons had fallen prey before it took off as they haven’t been seen since that night... That leaves me with another juvenile pigeon left in the top of the shed the same age frame as the one I rescued. This one seems to be healthy and is flying out and about. I saw it hanging out in a small window frame near the top of the shed earlier but it took to the air when I went to check on the horses and I lost sight of it.

My question is do I try to grab this one as well so they can grow up together and therefore not alone? Or do I just leave it but keep and eye out?

If the general consensus is that I should leave it to live in the shed (although it’s not safe from the raccoon or other predators) I do plan on hanging a suet feeder or something for it to get some easy food :caf

I haven’t seen the raccoon since our face to face visit.. I’m worried the adult/parent pigeons had fallen prey before it took off as they haven’t been seen since that night... That leaves me with another juvenile pigeon left in the top of the shed the same age frame as the one I rescued. This one seems to be healthy and is flying out and about. I saw it hanging out in a small window frame near the top of the shed earlier but it took to the air when I went to check on the horses and I lost sight of it.

My question is do I try to grab this one as well so they can grow up together and therefore not alone? Or do I just leave it but keep and eye out?

If the general consensus is that I should leave it to live in the shed (although it’s not safe from the raccoon or other predators) I do plan on hanging a suet feeder or something for it to get some easy food :caf
You could catch it if you want too. It does seem old enough to feed itself and escape predators if necessary. I would keep it separate from your pigeon to quarantine it. Also, pigeons don’t necessarily need other pigeons as lone birds do become quite tame.

Edit: Also, do you know if the pigeon in the shed has pink legs? That can be helpful to know the age.

Last edited:
Thank you! I was wondering if I could have it live in my main chicken coop? And if so what kind of accommodations would I need to make for it?
Could you upload a picture of your chooks coop? Also, what’s weather like there? If it snows I’m not very sure about what the pen should require. I do know people put a clear plastic on the mesh and put straw on the floor and I think let the droppings build up to produce heat.

Back
Top Bottom