Rescued a Tufted Cayuga

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crj, Dec 10, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    What an interesting bird! The colors are just fascinating. I've never seen one before until yesterday. Just amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got a call to rescue 4 ducks yesterday where someone left them at a lake to fend for themselves. Someone that lives in the lake made several calls in turn my NPIP tester gave her my number. I managed to catch the male but not the 3 females. One female looks like male but the other 2 are white with a light gray in there feathers. Interesting as well. I don't know if it's the same breed or not. The 2 white ones don't have the tuft. Hopefully by the end of the week I will be able to get them. The woman that called is trying to bait them into the fencing I left with her. We will see what happens. Just thought I'd share pictures of him. OH! He is so incredibly soft. Softer then any of my ducks, geese (and I have Sebbies), chickens, turkeys or even guineas!! Softer then my dogs, softer then my 2 horses with there winter coats. It's amazing!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Oh hes a pretty boy [​IMG] oh the horor! Oh save your self and bring him to me [​IMG] I will make room [​IMG] he will be well cared for [​IMG] (i would love him but dont want to mess up my ratio,.... Plus I was kidding [​IMG]) is is beautiful! And its called crested [​IMG] not tufed [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  3. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:Oh hes a pretty boy [​IMG] oh the horor! Oh save your self and bring him to me [​IMG] I will make room [​IMG] he will be well cared for [​IMG] (i would love him but dont want to mess up my ratio,.... Plus I was kidding [​IMG]) is is beautiful! And its called crested [​IMG] not tufed [​IMG]

Thank you, that's good to know. Some birds have Tufts other crest, how does one keep up....... LOL.

4. mz.candiz

mz.candiz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2011
    Edmonton
    Haha, oh my I love that duck! It looks like it has a little toupée on! [​IMG]

5. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    mz.candiz :

Haha, oh my I love that duck! It looks like it has a little toupée on! [​IMG]

LOL...... that's what I thought when I first saw him. As if someone glued a patch of feathers on his head. It's so thick. The female is a bit smaller but full.​

6. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    The owners have been found and they are all home safe and sound [​IMG]

7. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Upshur County, Texas
    Aw he is GORGEOUS!! I'd love to get a cayuga boy half so lovely!

The difference between tufted and crested is that tufts in geese are a gene that makes the feathers on the head stand up, but cresting in ducks is caused by a tiny hole in the skull creating the feather irregularity. It's a "lethal" gene because if a duckling has too big a helping of the gene it will perish in the egg because it's skull is deformed.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:So did you return the drake too?

9. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:So did you return the drake too?

Yes I did Miss Lydia. A guy and his family went away for a bit and his dad was duck sitting. Well, the ducks got out. When the son came home he was so upset thinking his ducks were gone. Luckily neighbors found the lady that called me and I was happy to bring the duck back. It's a happy ending. Guess the son won't bring his ducks to Dads house again..... lol.

BTW, after dropping off the duck I ended up picking up 3 Polish chickens that needed a new home.... lol. Got rid of 1 bird and came home with 3 more...... LOL!!!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  10. mz.candiz

mz.candiz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2011
    Edmonton
    Oh thats awesome you found the owners! I bet they were happy to get him back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by