Rescued an Easter egger - Any advice on how to clean her up?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211019-205539_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20211019-205539_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 2
@Hopelives07 , your new Easter egger is Beautiful! I understand you are only asking how to clean her face, but my concern is IF your new girl has an upper respiratory infection. Mucus from her nostrils would stick to her feathers and then collect dirt. If she has a respiratory infection, she may also wipe her face on her wings and upper back feathers to clean the mucus.

I know you said you "will take your chances", but please do research & understand the risk you take by exposing your other birds to potential serious incurable diseases. You have been given valuable advice here by experienced chicken keepers on topics other than giving a hen a good face cleaning. Please consider their input even if you ultimately reject it. Best wishes for good health and pretty colored eggs from your newest chicken!

Love that brand! I use it for my rabbits. :D

It can be a concern feeding a grain type feed. I use it for my birds when my chewy order is late, but I don't feed it long term. It really depends on the bird. If she's flinging seeds everywhere that she doesn't' want to eat, and she's leaving seeds in the feeder, you may want to switch

@Hopelives07 , your new Easter egger is Beautiful! I understand you are only asking how to clean her face, but my concern is IF your new girl has an upper respiratory infection. Mucus from her nostrils would stick to her feathers and then collect dirt. If she has a respiratory infection, she may also wipe her face on her wings and upper back feathers to clean the mucus.

I know you said you "will take your chances", but please do research & understand the risk you take by exposing your other birds to potential serious incurable diseases. You have been given valuable advice here by experienced chicken keepers on topics other than giving a hen a good face cleaning. Please consider their input even if you ultimately reject it. Best wishes for good health and pretty colored eggs from your newest chicken!
I appreciate your concern - however, I never mentioned any observed symptoms of sickness. I only thought she had dirt on her face which I have new found out that I was most likely mistaken (which is hilarious). I haven't noticed any problems as of yet - however, I will keep you input in mind.

Attachments

Can you get a clear picture of the dirt on her face? Try placing her on the ground, and giving her soemthgin tasty to eat, veggies, apple, just something to keep her still. Then get as close as you can and take a clear photo. I can be hard to get photos using the selfie setting. :)
I'm not seeing anything in the pictures. Is the "dirt" on her feathers, or on her face/beak. She does have brown feathers around her head, but those are naturally colored feathers, not dirty ones.
Yes...just figured that out that she has brown feathers around her face a few minutes ago!! ROFL!! šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£ I'm so sorry - She's fine!!!

Attachments

Yes...just figured that out that she has brown feathers around her face a few minutes ago!! ROFL!! šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£ I'm so sorry - She's fine!!!
Haha I was definitely looking at the pictures and thinking she looked pretty good after the wash cloth wipe down! Sheā€™s quite pretty šŸ˜ Good luck and definitely be cautious of any signs of health issues since the place you got her from seemed dirty to you. Love those sweet little bearded faces!

I appreciate your concern - however, I never mentioned any observed symptoms of sickness. I only thought she had dirt on her face which I have new found out that I was most likely mistaken (which is hilarious). I haven't noticed any problems as of yet - however, I will keep you input in mind.
Do you have another flock of your own? She looks fine to me, beautiful happy healthy hen, but its ALWAYS nessasary to separate any new birds for at least 30 days before introducing them. This reduces the risk of spreading incurable diseases to your existing flock.
She might be completely fine, but coming from dirty housing never reduces your chances. When you quarantine, you want the housing to be as far apart as possible. You'll want to wash hands, and change clothes and shoes between the two pens. (I use a hazmat suit when going into the quarantine area to avoid having to change my clothes.:p) Throughout the quarantine, watch for any signs of disease or issues.
It's the safest way to introduce hens to your flock, sounds time consuming, but it could save you a lot of heartache and treatment in the future. Sadly, it can be necessary.
Hopefully my above post has helped you! It may also allow bonding time between the two of you, congrats on your new arrival!

Back
Top Bottom