Rescued Baby Duck! Help

I am not a duck expert by any means but I would tend to agree with your assessment we are talking VERY young. No feathers developing at all still a tiny fluff for all intents and purposes so in the 1-2 week range for its age.

Something that may help would be an unbreakable mirror. That way it looks like there is another duckling there.

A washable stuffed toy with nothing that can be pulled off and swallowed may also help.

Even a life-sized photo of ducklings in with it could really help.

There is a sticky (index at top of Duck Forum) on Raising Ducklings.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

And you are welcome to join us over on the duck forum.

Last edited:
This is driving me crazy. I know he is lonely and all but when he is in his brooder he is just non-stop jumping to get out and hitting the sides/top! And non stop cheeping! When we are holding him he is fine and he runs around the house but otherwise ahhhhhh! Oh well! I am doing it for his sake. Does anybody else's duckling do this?

We have named him Confit
lau.gif

The duckling is absolutely is lonely when left alone. Ducks are social creatures and do not do well without contact with others. Were I you, I would let the lil one follow you around wherever you go whenever you can. At this point you are the only family that the duckling knows and he does not understand why you would leave him behind. I am really glad his leg is back up to par. You've essentially added a new creature to your family, certainly from ducklings point of view you are the new mommy. It can be overwhelming. Kids are like that sometimes. Bless your heart for making the effort, duckling would not have survived by itself.

The duckling is absolutely is lonely when left alone. Ducks are social creatures and do not do well without contact with others. Were I you, I would let the lil one follow you around wherever you go whenever you can. At this point you are the only family that the duckling knows and he does not understand why you would leave him behind. I am really glad his leg is back up to par. You've essentially added a new creature to your family, certainly from ducklings point of view you are the new mommy. It can be overwhelming. Kids are like that sometimes. Bless your heart for making the effort, duckling would not have survived by itself.

I do feel sorry for him. Basically when we are home he comes out and snuggles into my dressing gown and runs everywhere. The person who gave it back to us is going to take it back this weekend but if he can't, we are going to call one of the local carers! I will miss him but i think he will do better with other ducklings!

Back
Top Bottom