RESCUED, blue silkie chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ShortCircuitRanch2332, May 25, 2011.

1. ShortCircuitRanch2332

ShortCircuitRanch2332 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    so I have been on the lookout for silkies for a few months now and I kept getting told by the feed barns and co ops next month well yesterday I called around again and all there story's changed to we don't deal in bantys [​IMG] ok? w/e so I go on craigslist and I am looking for silkies well I find an add thats close to me out in barstow well the guy says in the add he has pure blue silkie chicks and he has 8 well I txt him and he says yep I got 5 well I say ill be there this morning at 9 and I get directions from him well I google it and its barstow country butchering............ok I think to myself so i txt him back and ask if thats rite well sure enough so I drive the hour out there and get there what I discovered was the most HORRIBLE thing I have ever seen in my life the BUTCHER building is decrepit and falling apart there is trash EVERY were old cars as we walk to the chicken coop I have to walk over a LARGE pile of manure to get into the door theirs rabbits goats and silkies every were and I walk in the coop and look up the side of the coop is just chicken mesh and on the other side is a pile of HEADS cow,goat,sheep, everything just out in the sun rotting and the ODOR OMG!!!! then it gets worse he tells me he only has 3 left 2 died and I doscover why he has them in the coop in a plywood box NO heating lamp its FREEZING in there and there in the sand I pull the chicks put and they are half frozen to death and I tell him listen you can see what shape there in you arent dumb and im not dumb i dont think they are gonna make it to lets negotiate a better price so instead of 4 a piece he sold me them for 2 a piece I got them to the car CRANKED the heater (i almost died of heat lol) and got them warm went to a liqour store bought a bottle of water and proceeded to nurse them rite there finnaly I get them moving around peeping and they even started playing and pecking at the seat so into the box they go with a lil blanket and I drive the hour back home well when i get there I hear no peeping in the box a bit scared I open it and they start jumping around for me to pick up so I put them in the sun to warm up and move around and get them food and water and discover they would rather eat DIRT so I pick them up and into the brooder with paper towels they go till they got the hang of eating there chick start
    and here they are
    [​IMG]
    a closer image
    [​IMG]
    heres the tiniest one he/she was the worst of poor lil thing was shivering so bad it was like a cell phone on vibrate
    [​IMG]

2. little brown hen

little brown hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Camp Point, Ill
    They are sooo cute. You are such a wonderful person I know they will have a better life now. Good luck and may god bless you.

3. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    They are beautiful! Best of luck to you and them!

4. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    BRAVO! and can you report that site to SPCA or someone?

5. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Gee, people are .......Ugh, I have no good words......

Good for you for taking on these babies! I hope they have a long and happy life with you!

6. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

That's what I was wondering, if you could report it? Some people are ignorant. I have just hatched out my first silkies. So cute.

7. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Hurray for saving chickie birds!
    Poor little things.
    I would hate to see that place....I would probably thieve all the animals and set the place on fire.
    Ehe...

8. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    What 3rd world country did you visit?! Call the cops, animal control, the SPCA! Do not shut up until the animals there are all safe.

9. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    So glad you saved them!

10. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    I would report them. You will probably get good results because animal control in Southern California is really good about keeping an eye on animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by