Rescued chick from cat (*Update* Coop page 26!)

I have 5 roos with 35 pullets
hide.gif
But I'm going to move two of them into my bigger flock next year
wee.gif

Quote:
That's mean and not funny

To her defense, I did begin this post in the Predators and Pests forum! I love my kitties, too. The cat who took the chick in my yard wasn't mine though, but he was not harmed in the rescue of the chick, just maybe a little sad he lost his catch.
tongue.png

6-8 hens! He only has two hens right now! Oh well, guess the boyfriend will have to enjoy just a few more lovelies
lol.png
And thanks guys for enjoying the thread! Floyd's head feathers are beginning to come out and he looks HILARIOUS! Here's a pic!

107047_wp_0000541.jpg

Quote:

To her defense, I did begin this post in the Predators and Pests forum! I love my kitties, too. The cat who took the chick in my yard wasn't mine though, but he was not harmed in the rescue of the chick, just maybe a little sad he lost his catch.
tongue.png

6-8 hens! He only has two hens right now! Oh well, guess the boyfriend will have to enjoy just a few more lovelies
lol.png
And thanks guys for enjoying the thread! Floyd's head feathers are beginning to come out and he looks HILARIOUS! Here's a pic!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/107047_wp_0000541.jpg

He does look a little funny.....
lol.png
lol.png

Wish I knew what he will be breed-wise. I'm so happy for you. Not many of us can say we were introduced into chicken keeping by divine intervention...I think your Floyd was meant to be yours!

...do any of your neighbors have chickens? Because i just can't imagine a cat carrying a chick for a quarter mile, so it probably came from your neighbors and they can tell you what Floyd is. Its not like they'd want him back, they probably have roos out the ears and really, he was already a lost since he was destined to be meow mix.

Quote:
I've done a little poking around (I probably looked like a stalker
lol.png
) to see if any have chickens. One older neighbor (whose land comes close to touching mine at my garden, but is guarded by a fence) has a horse and could possibly be where Floyd came from because out closer into the woods I think I saw what could've been a coop, but no chickens. It was hard to see because the area is so wooded and we all have a lot of land... and to be honest he's a pretty messy guy. I'm kind of scared to ask him because he really dislikes us for some reason.
hu.gif
If it was his... well... his loss, my gain!

I just discovered this post and read the whole thing from beginning to end. I loved it. I am a huge animal lover, and you are such a great person for helping that baby chick!! I have a very similiar story when it comes to chick raising and school. I am a bit older than you, but i decided to go back to school full time at the age of 37 for criminal justice. My 14 year old son brought home 5 eggs and said he was going to hatch them. I laughed at him and never thought they would hatch. Well, after 21 days of waiting, only one hatched! To make a long story short, this all happened in the middle of June. Since then I have built 2 coops, and i'm up to 16 chickens. Thank god for my boyfriend who realized how much i loved them and has helped me with this whole project. Like every other child, my son lost most of his interest so I took over. I come home everyday, and i sit in the back yard patio watching chicken tv as I do my homework for hours!! Good luck with your chickens and school!

Karen

Quote:

I doubt anyone would really do that. It sounds funny though!
lol.png

Somebody did that to my friend's kitty - he was never able to walk in a straight line after that - he always had to turn to the right. His name was side-winder. He still lived a good life though, but it was very sad...
sad.png

On a different note, when I was a kid we had a chicken that looked just like your baby - as I recall she was a New Hampshire Red. Look up some chick pictures of those, I really think that might be it. She looks like a sweetheart!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom