Rescued chick from cat (*Update* Coop page 26!)

fezlet

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Alabama
I recently rescued a baby chick from a cat about two weeks ago. He was terribly injured and in shock. I'd never even held a chicken before... I had no idea was I was in for. I've rescued several injured animals before and have had great success but this case is certainly new to me.

This is how the rescue went. I was outside in my measly little garden and I hear the crying of a little animal. I immediately went to check it out and a neighbor's cat had this little yellow thing in its mouth and it was just a-flapping. Poor thing! I wrestled with the cat for a bit and to my surprise, I found a little innocent chick! I had no idea where it came from. I've never seen any chickens around the area so the cat must've stolen it somewhere unknown and planned to bring it to me as a gift.
hu.gif
His back was completely gashed open. His wounds were great and he had puncture wounds all over his body. I was like, this little guy isn't going to make it.

I doctored him up the best I could, put it in a shoebox with my pj shorts and kept him in a dark place so he could overcome shock. To my surprise he was peeping when I woke up the next morning
wee.gif
Ever since then I've bought it feed, set it up a nice little play area, and give it attention literally every day, all day (I don't have a job, I'm just a college student taking only two classes). I've been sneaking around back-yard chickens since the rescue to learn all about chickens and figured it was time to introduce myself. My name is April, I'm 25 and currently studying to be a nurse. But I'm not here to introduce myself, I'm here because I need to ask some questions about my new little guy.

He's definitely taken a liking to me. If I leave the room he pitches the biggest fit
tongue.png
and I literally have to tuck him in a night or he'll be cranky in the morning. I've contemplated trying to find out where he came from, but also read that an injured chick will get picked on from their siblings
sad.png
I absolutely love him and would do anything for him. His back is healing nicely and have concluded he's about a 3 week old chick. When I got him from the cat, her mouth was full of feathers but I really didn't see where they came off of him at. I think I know. He has no tail feathers. His little bottom is completely bare. Do you guys think he'll be able to grow these back out?

0919010207.jpg

Isn't he darling?
love.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, the purring is nice, it's the smoke alarm sound when you leave that makes you feel bad. I agree, they need a full time friend. Mine had a few cats and 5 dogs and was housed next to a guinea pig. So she always had "someone" around. The one day we decided to move the guinea pig so we could expand her house, she about had a FIT. pacing back and forth squaking. We had to put piglet back next to her so she could see her, so she would finally settle back down.

let's face it, having a full grown chicken in your pocket is just NOT going to work.;-) you'll definitly need to find her some kind of companion.

For cages, I actually made mine out of shelving.
wholecage.jpg

They are 15" squares, I used cable ties to connect them
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16719773
Then used corrugated plastic for the base. Simple to work with, VERY easy to clean.

I got my idea from the guinea pig pages:
http://www.guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm

My cage is 2' wide by 8' long.
And so begins another "chicken lover"
big_smile.png

Thanks for the ideas! I want to make a setup kind of like that. Right now I have her in a medium-sized kennel filled with sand that I used for my dachshund when she was younger, but during the day she free roams my room. Speaking of the dachshund, I think she's afraid of my new little fluffy butt. After my chick got a good charge and a peck off the dachshund keeps to herself
lau.gif
I have a feisty little girl on my hands.

Belgian Sheepdogs...
Great dogs, just not for 1st time dog owners. They are very smart and will manipulate you if you let them.
But as far as snuggling goes.... they are TOPS. I have 3 and I will never be without one. They're like chickens..... Once you get hooked LOOK OUT!
tongue.png

Are you going to keep him (who I hope is a her!) as a house chicken?
You have to make a diaper and maybe a harness so you can take him outside. Also a little coop to sleep in so he won't have to wear the diaper at night.

Well done, 'she' looks gorgeous, they are so cute at that age.

Dont worry tail feathers will eventually grow back but you might want to get a little friend for it. Mind you I've got a hybrid hen that would rather live in the house than out with the other girls.

Hoep it goes well

Back
Top Bottom