Rescued Chicken couped up in a small box cage for 2 years

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by startrek4d, Nov 21, 2017.

1. startrek4d

startrek4d Chirping

Jun 30, 2008
    Tampa Bay Florida
    My Coop
    I came across a chicken that had been kept in a small box cage with no perch, no constant food/water and no way to scratch. This bird is beautiful! It took me along time to convince the owner to let me have the bird. The talons were so caked with it's own droppings that it was like cement on every claw. I brought the chicken home and soaked the feet 3 or 4 times... This morning they are all clear and it seems we have a happy camper. I'm having a little trouble figuring out weather we have a hen or a Rooster. I was SURE we had a "she" but this morning she went up against another rooster...So I'm questioning myself... Time to look into sexing our new friend. I wanted to share his/her story.... I'm his/her Christmas miracle and chicken life is now grand! What once was a very weary, miserable, mistreated bird is now migrating well into a new home full of love, treats, freedom and new friends.

Attached Files:

2. DaviJones

DaviJones Songster

Nov 7, 2017
    South Western, AZ
    I'm a newbie so I'm probably not the most reliable, but I'm guessing roo. The bird(which is very pretty...or handsome by the way) has what I believe are spurs and a large comb, signs of a rooster. Either way, I'm glad you rescued him or her, you have a good heart.

3. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Looks like a golden Hamburg rooster. I appluad you for rescuing this beautiful bird from abuse. Keep up the good work.

MrsMistyReal and startrek4d like this.
  4. LJoWilly

LJoWilly Songster

Oct 28, 2016
    Illinois
    Aww..bless your heart for stepping up and rescuing this poor soul..

5. startrek4d

startrek4d Chirping

Jun 30, 2008
    Tampa Bay Florida
    My Coop
    Update... My rescue chicken, or rooster is very happy in his/her new home :) Thank you for the kind remarks... and information :thumbsup:thumbsup Rescue chicken.jpg

6. LJoWilly

LJoWilly Songster

Oct 28, 2016
    Illinois
    That's so awesome!! Thank you so much for the update:thumbsup

7. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Enabler

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Just wanted to say kudos on getting those feet cleaned up.

All my hamburgs had gigantic spurs. I don't see any saddle feathers that say male.
    :confused:

Glad you got that bird from the former owners.

8. ashlierami

ashlierami Songster

Feb 9, 2017
    Alabama
    Looks like a roo to me! Your story was very touching. I'm so glad you rescued this beautiful chicken. No animal deserves that especially a bird! I absolutely love birds and have even considered to not even eat chicken anymore. . Now you just need to name this lucky one!

9. What a beautiful chicken, and you are wonderful for taking him/her in. To me, everything says female except those giant spurs? Didn’t know females could get those! I’ll be following your story!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  10. MrsMistyReal

MrsMistyReal Enabler

Aug 6, 2014
    Mississippi
    Cockadoodledoo you have some feathered family member new. Bless your heart you've done good, way to go :love:goodpost:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: