Rescued chicken not coming out of a coop and barely eating

I see... I was thinking of other causes such as heart failure and something that couldn't be foreseen or prevented. She seemed to be strong until the very last moment.

Is there anything more I could do for the other hen apart from what I already did? I take it that drinking and eating (and pooping) is a good sign, right?
These commercial layers are prone to a variety of reproductive disorders such as salpingitis, egg yolk peritonitis, internal laying, cancer just to name a few. Even an attempt at treatment in form of antibiotics will usually not resolve the issue but just prolong it.

Sadly there is nothing one can do but keep them comfortable and help them out of their misery as a last resort when the suffering gets too much.

These commercial layers are prone to a variety of reproductive disorders such as salpingitis, egg yolk peritonitis, internal laying, cancer just to name a few. Even an attempt at treatment in form of antibiotics will usually not resolve the issue but just prolong it.

Sadly there is nothing one can do but keep them comfortable and help them out of their misery as a last resort when the suffering gets too much.

So you would rule out any other issues, such as bacterial infections or other more simple diseases? She is pooping more now and it's all but that whitish liquid substance.

I didn't know about these disorders.. But it's no wonder taking into account the horrible conditions they live in those industrial places. :(

I will keep her comfortable inside and see how her condition evolves.

Thank you for your reply!

So you would rule out any other issues, such as bacterial infections or other more simple diseases? She is pooping more now and it's all but that whitish liquid substance.

I didn't know about these disorders.. But it's no wonder taking into account the horrible conditions they live in those industrial places. :(

I will keep her comfortable inside and see how her condition evolves.

Thank you for your reply!
These commercial layers often suffer from kidney disease (too much protein and salt in their feed) which leads to white liquid discharge. There is no cure for this.

Did you give them the tea as already suggested earlier in one of your other threads?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-emergency-not-moving-eyes-closed.1418402/post-23300944

You might also want to try Moro's carrot soup as it even helps with bacteria resistant to antibiotics: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-help-with-gut-flora.1372260/post-22571912

I am so sorry you’re having these issues with the girls you’ve saved from a horrible life. It’s profoundly sad. As the other posters have suggested, factory birds are fraught with problems brought on by their deplorable living conditions. Chances are very good they would succumb to those stresses eventually had you not intervened. But you did, and you are providing them a little bit of heaven. It might be too late for some, but in the meantime, they are knowing compassion for the first time.

These commercial layers often suffer from kidney disease (too much protein and salt in their feed) which leads to white liquid discharge. There is no cure for this.

Did you give them the tea as already suggested earlier in one of your other threads?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-emergency-not-moving-eyes-closed.1418402/post-23300944

You might also want to try Moro's carrot soup as it even helps with bacteria resistant to antibiotics: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-help-with-gut-flora.1372260/post-22571912
Thank you for reminding me! I am going to make it right away, both the soup and the tea.
Fingers crossed!

I only have fresh rosemary and oregano in my garden (also thyme, the article is talking about some benefits of this herb as well, so maybe I will add it too), but better something than nothing!

I am so sorry you’re having these issues with the girls you’ve saved from a horrible life. It’s profoundly sad. As the other posters have suggested, factory birds are fraught with problems brought on by their deplorable living conditions. Chances are very good they would succumb to those stresses eventually had you not intervened. But you did, and you are providing them a little bit of heaven. It might be too late for some, but in the meantime, they are knowing compassion for the first time.
Thank you for these kind words, it warmed my heart... ❤

I would try to see if she'll take some wet chicken food or scrambled egg? I'm sorry I can't help much. It's amazing that you've been able to rescue these chickens and let them have a real life, doing chicken things like walking around, scratching in the dirt, breathing fresh air, and being loved. Even if they don't make it you can know that you've done an amazing thing for these birds.

I would try to see if she'll take some wet chicken food or scrambled egg? I'm sorry I can't help much. It's amazing that you've been able to rescue these chickens and let them have a real life, doing chicken things like walking around, scratching in the dirt, breathing fresh air, and being loved. Even if they don't make it you can know that you've done an amazing thing for these birds.
Thank you! ❤ I was really sad when I found the hen yesterday... The thought that she will not get to experience spring and summer... But as you wrote, even those two weeks of living a normal life, experiencing outdoors and compassion is something that is worth it, even if it would be just a single day...

Thank you! ❤ I was really sad when I found the hen yesterday... The thought that she will not get to experience spring and summer... But as you wrote, even those two weeks of living a normal life, experiencing outdoors and compassion is something that is worth it, even if it would be just a single day...
It definitely is.

Back
Top Bottom