Rescued Chicks From Animal Control - What are they?

calamtykel

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 2, 2009
My 15 year old volunteers at a wildlife rehabilitation center and they got in this batch of chicks which had been seized by animal control. They were being raised by an ambitious college student in an apartment who was feeding them parakeet food and cornmeal.

The wildlife center is over run with baby chicks right now (they also do some barnyard, as they are a farm) so we offered to take these to raise. We have done chickens for four years, but only plain old boring egg layers. ;D

I have very little to go on. All I was told is that (1) they came from McMurray's. (2) they are all bantams. (yes?) (3) they were about three weeks old last Saturday when we took them (don't know if this is true - it is all hear-say from the original owner.) (4) they are straight run, pure breds (?) - I imagine a McMurray's straight run fancy banty assortment of some kind.

Some have feathered feet, some do not.

We've never done "fancy" breeds, so we're really having a lot of fun with them already!

My photos aren't great- they were moving at high speed -- If anyone has any clue just from the photos, about any identification I'd be grateful!

The one below has feathered feet and chipmunk type markings.

Large, dark with very feathered feet. Behind it, a yellow chick without feathered feet (silver wyandotte or sussex?)

Smaller than the others with large eyes and gray feet and orange feet.

Feathered feet.....

My camera would not pick it up, but this little one below is my favorite. She is kind of a pussywillow color with a yellow head! She also has feathered feet.

side view of "Pussywillow" (grayish one)

Honey colored with feathered feet

Honestly dont' know if this is the same chick as previously shown - they were all moving so fast!

the one on the right is yellow with feathers coming in sort of white w/black spots. The one in the back has feathered feet; the black one in the foreground does not.

Thanks for any help anyone can give us - it's a fun project for us all here! :)

Last edited:
Thanks! I think they are adorable too - glad they are away from the parrot food and cornmeal. I have a feeling if they came from McMurray's several may have died, as they ship in lots of 20 or 25 and by the time we got them, there were only 15.

I see a lot of possible bantam cochins - the first one that is chipmunk with feathered legs looks to be partridge coloured, and that really small one looks like a golden seabright.

3 weeks looks about right.. If not a bit younger. Mine are a little more feathered out and turn 3 weeks old tomorrow, though mine were fed properly :/

cool! Thank you so much! Yes, I hadn't thought that they might be a little stunted from the first owner. They seem to be active and doing well now!

aoxa- thanks!

Love your blog photos by the way! Is your broody one a Buff Orpington? We had a buff that was a fantastic mother - we'd grab chicks from Craigslist, Tractor Supply - she'd take anything and she guarded them with a vengeance - the dog was terrified to go anywhere near the coop. She'd even attack us when we came into the coop so we had to wear high boots.

Sadly, one night last year I told my husband I'd lock the coop, got distracted and I completely forgot until about 10:00. I ran down to the coop but it was too late; a fox had gotten her and three of the chicks. :( I am still sad about that to this day - I am sure she fought tooth and nail for her babies. Four of the babies were still in the coop and were old enough to be on their own by then, but it was a very sad and hard lesson for me. Now we all ask each other every night if someone HAD shut up the coop. I will never again say "I'll do it..." unless I already have!

aoxa- thanks!

Love your blog photos by the way!  Is your broody one a Buff Orpington?  We had a buff that was a fantastic mother - we'd grab chicks from Craigslist, Tractor Supply - she'd take anything and she guarded them with a vengeance - the dog was terrified to go anywhere near the coop.  She'd even attack us when we came into the coop so we had to wear high boots.

Sadly, one night last year I  told my husband I'd lock the coop, got distracted and I completely forgot until about 10:00.  I ran down to the coop but it was too late; a fox had gotten her and three of the chicks.  :(   I am still sad about that to this day - I am sure she fought tooth and nail for her babies.  Four of the babies were still in the coop and were old enough to be on their own by then, but it was a very sad and hard lesson for me.  Now we all ask each other every night if someone HAD shut up the coop.  I will never again say "I'll do it..." unless I already have!

Thank you very much!

I have 2 silkie broodies, 1 Buff Orpington broody (started laying again a week ago, but continues to hang with her kids) and I had one partridge cochin broody. My BO was definitely the best.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss :( THat's so sad!

Back
Top Bottom