Rescued Duck Eggs! NEED HELP WITH AGE !!

I believe it looks like Day...

Votes: 2 66.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yep, it doesn't look pretty but it does the job, lol!

Still has a lot of veins from what I can see... got to wait for the blood in those veins to recede, if you don't the duckling could bleed out very quick... when it's ready, it will start struggling like crazy... if it's stuck when it does that, then you can help a bit more...

done, here are the pics... what do you think?
Keep up with the ointment or Vaseline. The membrane dry out and get sticky/hard. It looks like when he's ready he should be able to get out. It takes time for them to finish absorbing the yolk and the veins that are in the pointy end of the egg. I re-apply ointment about every 3 hours and then just do a little extra right before bed. Are there any other eggs still working on hatching in the incubator? If there is that's good, it will help encourage him. I dont think they were shrink wrapped but I have to tell you that you did an amazing job with that egg. I've never had the guts to go in and create an internal pip on an egg. Amazing! Glad he's still going!

Last edited:
Quote:
yes, when another one of he sibling hatch a several hours ago he was very vocal, i have also seen him do yawning motions as well.

Last edited:
Thanks Ruby. Yes, there is 1 other egg still hatching. he/she is doing well. As of now, there is also another sibling who has hatch and is still drying. I can tell that him being in there and somewhat active/vocal has helped.

We must have been writing at the same time!

lol... :highfive:

yes, when another one of he sibling hatch a several hours ago he was very vocal, i have also seen him do yawning motions as well.

That's good! He's absorbing what he needs too.

X2!

Yawning motion means he is still absorbing yolk... just needs time... :)

Thanks Ruby. Yes, there is 1 other egg still hatching. he/she is doing well. As of now, there is also another sibling who has hatch and is still drying. I can tell that him being in there and somewhat active/vocal has helped.

Excellent!!

And I echo what Ruby said, amazing job making an internal pip for him... personally, I've never had any good luck doing that... no matter what happens, you did your best!

3 here, 3 more working to get out. 1 didn't make it
sad.png

So I got worried about one that hadn't moved in over a day. I candled it, still no signs of life. Right or wrong I decided to look inside. My suspicions werw right, shrink wrapped (I think, no experience with any if this).

I had one other egg that was worrying me and because of what I found I peaked inside. This was better news; he was still breathing, but appeared to be shrink wrapped. Scared his fate would be the same as his sibling, I acted without getting any of your advice first (sorry). I opened the shell enough around the air sack for me to work. I found his beak, then extremely carefully cut a small hole near the beak. The beak came out and a little blood too. I saw he was breathing, but I feared I may have just signed his death warrant. I left hoping for the best, this is what he looked like when I left:

However as I monitored him from work on a live video feed he seemed to be doing better. He was Very actively getting his head out mor, and the blood seemed to clot. At this point I felt more encouraged than discouraged.

Now that I'm home I'm not sure what to do. Should I help more, or if he supposed make it then should he have the strength to get himself out the rest of the way? Here is a picture of him now:

Thanks again everyone, and sorry if I acted rashly. I just did was I thought was right in the moment.
So sorry you lost one. Congrats on the others and GREAT save on this little guy
thumbsup.gif

Ravyn and Ruby are the BEST so I'm just following along
smile.png
FANTASTIC photos by the way!

Keep up with the ointment or Vaseline. The membrane dry out and get sticky/hard. It looks like when he's ready he should be able to get out. It takes time for them to finish absorbing the yolk and the veins that are in the pointy end of the egg. I re-apply ointment about every 3 hours and then just do a little extra right before bed. Are there any other eggs still working on hatching in the incubator? If there is that's good, it will help encourage him.

I dont think they were shrink wrapped but I have to tell you that you did an amazing job with that egg. I've never had the guts to go in and create an internal pip on an egg. Amazing! Glad he's still going!
Hey @RubyNala97
frow.gif
I've never seen shrink wrap but I sure thought the picture of the #4 egg looked a bit shrink wrapped. What should one look for to determine shrink wrap?

Back
Top Bottom