Rescued Duck Eggs! NEED HELP WITH AGE !!

I believe it looks like Day...

Votes: 2 66.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have a duck! Couple of question.

First Question: he keeps trying to climb back into his shell (head first), is he cold?

It took him 27 hours from pip to zip, once he started to zip it happened fast, around 5 mins.

Second Question: non of his siblings have pipped. I think a few may have internally pipped but can't be sure. I know at least 2 are still alive but am worried because they are so much behind their hatched sibling, should i be worried? He really really needs at least 1 sibling for a buddy.

I have a duck! Couple of question. First Question: he keeps trying to climb back into his shell (head first), is he cold? It took him 27 hours from pip to zip, once he started to zip it happened fast, around 5 mins. Second Question: non of his siblings have pipped. I think a few may have internally pipped but can't be sure. I know at least 2 are still alive but am worried because they are so much behind their hatched sibling, should i be worried? He really really needs at least 1 sibling for a buddy.
:celebrate CONGRATS!!!! Get some more pics of the baby when you can! :) I don't think he's cold, just uncoordinated after hatching. It takes them a couple hours to get on their feet and balanced. If you don't have any other pips and your incubator is holding humidity good, I would take each egg out, one at a time and candle for internal pips and life. After this guy hatched your humidity probably shot up, so it's a good time to open and check the other eggs out. Just don't let the new baby get a chill.

:celebrate CONGRATS!!!! Get some more pics of the baby when you can! :)

I don't think he's cold, just uncoordinated after hatching. It takes them a couple hours to get on their feet and balanced. If you don't have any other pips and your incubator is holding humidity good, I would take each egg out, one at a time and candle for internal pips and life. After this guy hatched your humidity probably shot up, so it's a good time to open and check the other eggs out. Just don't let the new baby get a chill.

X2

And don't fret... many a batch have I had a day early bird, lol...

I have a duck! Couple of question.

First Question: he keeps trying to climb back into his shell (head first), is he cold?

It took him 27 hours from pip to zip, once he started to zip it happened fast, around 5 mins.

Second Question: non of his siblings have pipped. I think a few may have internally pipped but can't be sure. I know at least 2 are still alive but am worried because they are so much behind their hatched sibling, should i be worried? He really really needs at least 1 sibling for a buddy.

X2

And don't fret... many a batch have I had a day early bird, lol...
x3

Thanks Everyone!

Didn't think I'd become the overly concerned type...
roll.png
He's doing great. A quick update and of coarse I have more questions
tongue.png
!

Ren2014 you were right, I now have 3 more eggs that have externally pipped and one working on it! So i'm guessing tomorrow this early bird (pun intended) who unzipped this morning will have some much needed companionship.

Right or wrong I felt I needed to take him of of my incubator after about 7 hours. He was mostly dry and starting to be very very active. I was worried for his safety (computer fan in incubator) and the safety of all his sibling who haven't hatched yet.

I put him in a large, long plastic tote with a heat lamp placed in the corner and some old towels folded in the bottom. As expected he was sleepy most the day. However he's sleeping no longer and very much up and active, or should I say up and anxious. I realize these are flock animals and are genetically programs to companionship, ergo his persistent, pathetic chirping.

I couldn't find any good answer for when to feed him or give him water. I remember reading something that said they can go 48 hours without anything because they just finished absorbing the yoke. However not being sure, and not wanting to deprive him, and worried his chirping was more than just loneliness; I place some water in a feeder in with him. I showed him were and what it was and dip his beak in so he knew it was water. He didn't seem the least interested!

When do they start drinking/eating?

Also noteworthy; I don't feel that he care for me much, lol. I have zero credibility or experience to support my claim, but if this is a duck that imprinted on me, I'd be very surprised. My wife was looking in on him through the incubator window a few times during the 6 or 7 hours he spent in there. I was the one to take him out and put him in the incubator, but for some odd reason i feel like he might have imprinted on her. Not trying to be stereotypical, but my wife talks on the phone alot, and in general women are more vocal the men, so do/can they imprint on a voice? Or could this happen through seeing her through a incubator window? Or is it sent based?

Sorry for all my never ending barrage of questions. I hope I'm posting them in the proper manner. Wasn't' sure if each new questions should be a new thread or not?

Thanks again, i'll try to post better pictures tomorrow.

Thanks Everyone!

Didn't think I'd become the overly concerned type... :rolleyes:   He's doing great. A quick update and of coarse I have more questions :p  !

Ren2014 you were right, I now have 3 more eggs that have externally pipped and one working on it! So i'm guessing tomorrow this early bird (pun intended) who unzipped this morning will have some much needed companionship.

Right or wrong I felt I needed to take him of of my incubator after about 7 hours. He was mostly dry and starting to be very very active. I was worried for his safety (computer fan in incubator) and the safety of all his sibling who haven't hatched yet.

I put him in a large, long plastic tote with a heat lamp placed in the corner and some old towels folded in the bottom. As expected he was sleepy most the day. However he's sleeping no longer and very much up and active, or should I say up and anxious. I realize these are flock animals and are genetically programs to companionship, ergo his persistent, pathetic chirping. 

I couldn't find any good answer for when to feed him or give him water. I remember reading something that said they can go 48 hours without anything because they just finished absorbing the yoke. However not being sure, and not wanting to deprive him, and worried his chirping was more than just loneliness; I place some water in a feeder in with him. I showed him were and what it was and dip his beak in so he knew it was water. He didn't seem the least interested!

Also noteworthy; I don't feel that he care for me much, lol. I have zero credibility or experience to support my claim, but if this is a duck that imprinted on me, I'd be very surprised. My wife was looking in on him through the incubator window a few times during the 6 or 7 hours he spent in there. I was the one to take him out and put him in the incubator, but for some odd reason i feel like he might have imprinted on her. Not trying to be stereotypical, but my wife talks on the phone alot, and in general women are more vocal the men, so do/can they imprint on a voice? Or could this happen through seeing her through a incubator window? Or is it sent based?

Sorry for all my never ending barrage of  questions. I hope I'm posting them in the proper manner. Wasn't' sure if each new questions should be a new thread or not?

You're fine posting your questions right here... you've got a couple of experienced duck people watching your thread in case you need help... :)

You were just fine taking him out, some do and some don't until the rest hatch... no right or wrong there, it's personal choice... even though they *can* go without food and water for a while after hatching, it's best to have it in the brooder as soon as they go in... might take a bit before they start drinking or eating, but it's good for it to be there for them to poke at once they're ready... he may wait til his buddies join him...

As for imprinting, you didn't stereotype, you actually guessed right... duck mamas will talk to their babies when they're setting and hatching... they imprint on voice first and then by sight... he definitely may have imprinted on her... I talk to my Call eggs all the time and they come out responding to me really well...

However, that will change once he has hatchmates join him... then they'll bond together, as they should, since they'll be talking and with each other the whole time...

Thanks Everyone!

Didn't think I'd become the overly concerned type... :rolleyes:   He's doing great. A quick update and of coarse I have more questions :p  !

Sorry for all my never ending barrage of  questions. I hope I'm posting them in the proper manner. Wasn't' sure if each new questions should be a new thread or not?

Ravyn answered most of your questions and definitely don't hesitate to ask any more questions! We are all rooting for your duck eggs! I just wanted to say, and I know this might sound silly, but this year was my first year hatching ducks, I did 3 batches and I noticed that each little hatchling was very unique with its own personality. Some got into the brooder and were hyper little things, eating and drinking and exploring only hours after hatch. Others were sleepy and shy. Some liked us (humans) and were interested in being held and exploring our hands and clothes and others wanted to not be held at all. I think all of the above is in the realm of normal and I'm sure breed may play some part too. But you will see once you have a few out of the shells that each one will have its own preferences. They are amazing creatures!

Eta: I forgot I was going to say if you think he's lonely or his peeping is driving you nuts, you could try putting a mirror in with him or a stuffed animal.

Last edited:
3 here, 3 more working to get out. 1 didn't make it :(

So I got worried about one that hadn't moved in over a day. I candled it, still no signs of life. Right or wrong I decided to look inside. My suspicions werw right, shrink wrapped (I think, no experience with any if this).

I had one other egg that was worrying me and because of what I found I peaked inside. This was better news; he was still breathing, but appeared to be shrink wrapped. Scared his fate would be the same as his sibling, I acted without getting any of your advice first (sorry). I opened the shell enough around the air sack for me to work. I found his beak, then extremely carefully cut a small hole near the beak. The beak came out and a little blood too. I saw he was breathing, but I feared I may have just signed his death warrant. I left hoping for the best, this is what he looked like when I left:

However as I monitored him from work on a live video feed he seemed to be doing better. He was Very actively getting his head out mor, and the blood seemed to clot. At this point I felt more encouraged than discouraged.

Now that I'm home I'm not sure what to do. Should I help more, or if he supposed make it then should he have the strength to get himself out the rest of the way? Here is a picture of him now:

Thanks again everyone, and sorry if I acted rashly. I just did was I thought was right in the moment.

Got any vaseline or antibiotic ointment w/out painreliever? Take a little bit on a qtip and spread a thin coat across the entire exposed membrane, just don't get any in the nares (nose holes in bill)... that will keep it from drying out and will let you see if it still has veins to absorb...

We can only do our best, so don't beat yourself up... sounds like that one has a fighting chance though, just be aware no matter how hard we try, sometimes we can't save them all...

Post new pic once you lube up the membrane... :)

Back
Top Bottom