Rescued hen is gonna make it! pic pg 8

Nope, no snots or bubbling eyes. I soaked her for a bit, then put on the Campho..... she stomped (stumped?) around for a bit, looking at her feet, looking accusingly at me...
Well, it does smell pretty bad. Is Neosporin later tonight a good idea? I want to suffocate these mites (if that's the problem) or if it isn't, wouldn't that just make her feel better? I wish I knew what I was doing.

I think if you could get the baby mineral oil..it wouldn't sting.
tho the campho might help rid the mites..
so will some Sevin dust..
if you know any farmers with cattle or pigs, they might
have some Eprinex or Ivermectin, or Cydectin (moxidectin)..

wondering what her droppings look like?(color and consistency)
I'm sure she's pretty stressed and probably wasn't fed since she was meant as bait..(poor thing).
is she eating and drinking?
she might need some extra protein such as cooked egg and some plain active culture yogurt to help her system, and vitamins..either poultry vitamins, or Polyvisol children's vitamins. 3 drops a day for a week, then taper off.

Kudos for rescuing her..
didn't you say you got 2 hens?
how is the other one?

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion! I know someone with cows, I'll go on over and ask.
Other than her feet, and a little frostbite, she's doing pretty well. She's eating & drinking, poo looks normal. She really loved lazing around in the sun yesterday.
The Amerucana that came with the roo, (the one he was going to "turn loose in the woods" looks fine. No mites, looks pretty healthy.
And there is another I didn't mention. Someone had a ratty looking silkie hen. People were teasing the owner that unless they had an "ugliest silkie chicken contest" he wasn't going to make any money off her. I have to admit, she's no beauty.
I asked him what he would do with her if nobody bought her and he said "Well, I can't breed her, there's really no point in continuing to feed her..."
So I gave him $8 and put her in the box. I cut the matted feathers off (which didn't help her look any prettier) I checked her out and she looks surprisingly healthy too. These two are buddies, they're in a big tote in the kitchen and the little footless one in another tote. I had them out yesterday in a pen away from my other chickens.
As soon as I'm convinced they are ok, they'll go in the coop with the others.

* Are her feet lookin' ANY better, M??? I like "butterchurn" as a name, it's cute & unique!! JMO, though. ( Uh, the Zin's for YOU, right?? A drunken butterchurn so infinitely worse than a sober one!
tongue.png
)

Last edited:
Her legs look a little better today. She was out lazing in the sun again. Dug herself a little hole to lay in (took half the day with just the one toe).
Tomorrow night I'll have pics. btw, anyone know how to change the thread title so I can say"updated w/ pics" ?

Yes, dk, the zin was for me because she drank all the Tequila.
wink.png

roll.png
OMGosh! And she didn't leave you ANY!! Forget what I said, "Butterchurn" is FAR to cute a name for the foul fowl!!! (Did she eat the agave grub in the bottom, too??? 'COURSE SHE DID, SHE'S A CKN!!)

Back
Top Bottom