Rescued Injured Pigeon - Feeding and Care tips?

She has eyes like an owl... stunning.

Well done for rescuing it.

As for feed you have good advise already... just to add a standard wild bird mix is great for small numbers of pet pigeons... you can add chicken layer pellets to it for extra calcium and protein... and you should have a bowl of pigeon grit in the cage to help with the birds digestion.

She has eyes like an owl... stunning.

Well done for rescuing it.

As for feed you have good advise already... just to add a standard wild bird mix is great for small numbers of pet pigeons... you can add chicken layer pellets to it for extra calcium and protein... and you should have a bowl of pigeon grit in the cage to help with the birds digestion. 

Thank you. ♡

I've been feeding her some wild bird mix recommended by our local pet shop! And I bought her some grit too. :) I'll look for some chicken layer pellets next time I'm there.

This is my first experience with a pigeon (obviously
1f605.png
) but I raised smaller birds in the past. It never ceases to amaze me how full of personality they are when in the company of people.
1f60a.png

I've had success using for grit: red clay earth, chicken grit. if no layer used in with wild bird and scratch, "gravel n grit" at Walmart etc, it is for caged birds, and has added calcium and minerals etc.

I've had success using for grit: red clay earth, chicken grit. if no layer used in with wild bird and scratch, "gravel n grit" at Walmart etc, it is for caged birds, and has added calcium and minerals etc.

Gravel and Grit is the one I bought. :) I also really want to purchase the red clay you mentioned, though. Someone else told me it was good really too!

Gravel and Grit is the one I bought.
smile.png
I also really want to purchase the red clay you mentioned, though. Someone else told me it was good really too!
Don't worry about the red clay... they don't need it... although it is good for them.

My pigeons have never had the red clay in 10 years and they are all very healthy.

Red clay basically has minerals and acts as a detoxification agent in their system n other stuff I forget. Activated charcoal would do same if needed, but your caged bird grit will do some of too. So no probs. Mine also like leafy greens (especially dandelion greens), bread, bugs, berries fruit etc, seen when free flown that a neglectful neighbors pair american rollers ate roadkill regularly for some reason..

Don't worry about the red clay... they don't need it... although it is good for them.

My pigeons have never had the red clay in 10 years and they are all very healthy. 

If that's the case, then I'll just stick with the current grit I'm giving her now.
1f605.png
As long as she continues to get better, I'm happy. :)

Red clay basically has minerals and acts as a detoxification agent in their system n other stuff I forget. Activated charcoal would do same if needed, but your caged bird grit will do some of too. So no probs. Mine also like leafy greens (especially dandelion greens), bread, bugs, berries fruit etc, seen when free flown that a neglectful neighbors pair american rollers ate roadkill regularly for some reason..

Road kill? Wow..that's odd. Although pigeons do tend to scavenge, I didn't know they would go for that type of meat.
1f637.png
I've been trying to get Novi to eat more greens but she doesn't seem too fond of them. I'll keep trying though, she might feel an urge for some veggies one of these days. Lol

Back
Top Bottom