Rescued Paint Silkie

mommabird724

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2015
I went to a "reputable" breeder to buy a male paint Silkie that was unwanted in her breeder program. Turns out he wasn't wanted much at all. She wanted $20 for him but settled for &10 due to "ratty wing feathers" and a bit of "red color seepage" in his top feathers. He was in a barn room pen with a much larger rooster that "picked on him and kept him from the food source". Friends, he is near death! He has virtually no flesh on him! I've been giving him vitamins (from TSC) and he has been eating and drinking well. His first night I bet he drank a full 8oz of vitamin water. Since he seemed settled and his droppings seemed normal I decided to give him a warm bath and warm blow dry, followed by snuggling on my chest with a towel loosely wrapped around him. He has no energy and is quietly sleeping on my chest. He isn't used to being handled much and cuddling is completely foreign to him. I don't want to further stress him or leave him until I know he is drinking again. He seems comfortable for the moment. I sure don't want to lose him. Either he's too weak to fuss with me or has the sweetest disposition. I haven't come up with a name for him yet. Any suggestions are most welcome!

Check for worms. He may be to weak for a chemical deworming, so carrot juice and luke warm herbal tee (oregano, fennel..) will help him to digest, unsalted chard or natural yogurt and some dog food will bring easy digestible protein and energy into his body. An sliced apple may help if his blood sugar is too low.
Good luck!

Thank you for your advice. She told me she wormed him. I think what I see in him droppings today are dead roundworms. Will offer him the proteins.

This is our 9th day together. I am seeing long, dead roundworms yesterday and today along with bloody stuff. Probably lining. I offered him high quality natural yogurt mixed as a mash with his crumble. He wasn't impressed. I'll try again in the morning when he's good and hungry. It's time for a second worming and I have a good one on order as mentioned in other posts. I'm wondering how long will I see dead worms? I hope he will finally start to gain weight. I don't know how long he has been infested and hope he can recover from this.

fl.gif
Hope he get's better soon.

This story ends with my brave decision to return this little guy to his breeder. After agonizing over him as he seemed to worsen, I felt that to protect my other pets and home it was the right thing to do. I should have inspected him better and noticed that his vent feathers were a yucky mess and that at 4-5 months he was nothing but skin and bones. I did all I knew how and the weight has been lifted from my heart. I believe he is in God's hands. Thank you all for your advice and encouraging words.

You did all you could
hugs.gif
- that "person" is NOT a breeder, they are the "scum of the earth." I hope Karma finds them soon.

Um, I don't understand why you returned the bird to the person who abused him. You would have been better of just giving him away to somebody who would take proper care of him and not dump him like garbage.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom