Rescued Pigeon

Cloverleaf Farm

Bearded Birds are Best
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
Levan, UT
I work at an emergency vet clinic, and last night (my night off) I got a phone call from work. "There's a pigeon that a good sam brought in that needs a home". There were actually two, but the one had such a badly mangled wing, they euthanized it. I went and picked her up today, she is beautiful. Almost all white, with a little black flecking on the back of her neck, and some mahogany brownish on a couple of her tail feathers. She will have a forever home with us. BUT I am really angry at whomever dumped her. I really believe that she was dumped. They were found in a field, BOTH of her wings have been broken and healed BADLY, she will never fly again, she can't even spread her wings fully. There are a lot of scars on her. I am guessing that she was used as a bait bird for training hunting dogs. There's no way these birds got out there by themselves.
I will post pics of her tomorrow when it's light out, and maybe someone can tell me what breed she is. (There's no leg band).

Oh wow!
sad.png
Poor babies! I'm SO glad you have taken the surviving bird in. Definitely the result of unethical dog training (there are MUCH better and humane ways to go that!!!!!).

Here's a pic of her (him?
hu.gif
) Sorry it's not a very good pic, she's still really nervous...

15879_rescuepigeon.jpeg
15879_rescuepigeon2.jpeg

Last edited:
First, GREAT job and thanks for giving them a forever home !
thumbsup.gif

I know nothing about pigeons (yet
tongue.png
) but they look like homing pigeons possibly...

Thanks!
big_smile.png
Both pics are the same bird
wink.png
the other one had to be euthanized.
sad.png
I wonder if that part would've been different if I had been there though...

Homer was my first though too, but I'm still a pigeon newbie, and we only have parlor rollers.

You can see in the pics how messed up her wings are...
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom