Rescued some chickens. One is especially bad and sounds funny chirping.

debeaking is basically chopping off the front of their beaks when their chicks... it helps with canablism and stuff....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debeaking

That's terribly sad! No wonder they all
Some chickens naturally have a floppy comb so that can be genetics but definitely pretty pale.

I've seen pictures of the recovering ones. The combs definitely stand up straight.

Droopy Comb made it through the night. She's moving ever so slightly. Their poop is still really runny though. They've also begun screaming at me when I get near.

I've run into a new problem this morning. I'm finding eggs. Aren't they too sick to be laying? Should I add anything to their diet for the eggs? I've found three so far.

That's terribly sad! No wonder they all

I've seen pictures of the recovering ones. The combs definitely stand up straight.

Droopy Comb made it through the night. She's moving ever so slightly. Their poop is still really runny though. They've also begun screaming at me when I get near.

I've run into a new problem this morning. I'm finding eggs. Aren't they too sick to be laying? Should I add anything to their diet for the eggs? I've found three so far.
I definitely wouldn't be eating those eggs. Chickens in egg factories look like crap but will still lay. We give ours oyster shells for digestion and strong egg shells. If they didn't have access to dirt or small pebbles they might not digest food properly or have good strong eggs.

There's a "hatchery" nearby that "rescued" some chickens. (Which gets posted here once in a blue moon.) The chickens ended up being rescued from the "rescue" and I ended up with some. They're all mangled from stress, but this girl worries me the most. Her comb is droopier than the others, and she sounds.... Congested? When she chirps. In the few hours I've had the chickens four others have begun eating/drinking. This girl has been hiding and sleeping. Even when you pick her up she just sleeps.

They've all been quickly checked by a vet for illnesses, and non of the other people have reported illness with their chickens.

Should I just leave her and give her more time? Try to get fluids down? I'm really worried about her.

View attachment 2165465

You can kinda hear her congested cough here. There's another chicken clucking over her. (They DO have a coop. These two escaped when I was taking them out of the box I transported in and hid from me)
I would give them time and make sure you give the ones that are hiding extra love and attention oh and some super worms for all of them and some raw oatmeal and constant water

Looks as if she is molting and broody at the same time, poor thing.

Before feeding them other than starter pellets or layer pellets, make sure they have a healthy dose of grit to help with the digestion.

Edit: You could try Moro's carrot soup to help with diarrhea of unknown origin

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-help-with-gut-flora.1372260/post-22571912

Thanks. How can you tell she's molting? I have two today who are super hidey. They've taken up screaming in distress.

Currently I have them on chick starter. Is that okay for them or should I switch? They're pigging out on it and half a gallon of water.

The droopy ones have begun walking around a bit. Their voices also seem to be recovering. I'm hopeful it's not some sort of illness now. I've never had rescue chickens before, so this is strange.

If people are stressing them out I would limit contact, stress can cause physical problems too. The chick starter seems to be a hit. I buy "Layena Crumble" good for the eggs and my chickens favor it over anything else. The name brand crumble looks almost the same at chick starter and I mix it with regular chicken scratch. While I'm at Tractor Supply I pick up water additives and vitamins to mix in.

Thanks. How can you tell she's molting? I have two today who are super hidey. They've taken up screaming in distress.

You can see all the pinfeathers coming out which hurts them quite a bit and they avoid contact even with their flock-mates during this exhausting time.

IMG_20200528_185635.jpg

Currently I have them on chick starter. Is that okay for them or should I switch? They're pigging out on it and half a gallon of water.

That's ok for the moment and in addition to vitamins you could add some tea (oregano, sage, aniseed and camomile) to their water.

And I would provide several dust baths in sunny locations for them to wallow in and thus reduce stress.

One of the chickens today developed a runny nose. She got hot outside and was yelling in distress. When I brought her in I noticed a slightly wet nose on one side and her panting. After a minute or two of snuggles both sides were clearly running a clear liquid. Could it have been stress/heat or should I look for an illness?
Once I finished cleaning their cage and put them back they all ran for water again. :(

Back
Top Bottom