Rescuing a Duck, need some advice...*UPDATE on page 3*

I believe that the poor duck is being mistreated, but..... my SIL was horrified by my duck's living conditions, because we penned them up when she came over so the goose wouldn't eat her... and it was muddy, and the run was muddy (they usually free range) and the water was atrocious. She got all freaked out, and said that she was sure the ducks needed clean water, adn wouldn't believe me when I told her I'd filled that kiddy pool 2 hours before she showed up... so we dumped it, and rinsed it, and refilled it, and 1/2 an hour later, she saw it was thick and soupy again, and she finally understood i wasn't torturing my ducks. Also, my turkeys dump their 2 1/2 gallon water, so I fill it morning and afternoon. my friend came by at about 11am, and was horrified that their waterer was dry... so, just saying, make sure the animal is suffering before taking it. make sure it's not just that she came by once or twice and found it out of water..

Thanks for your thoughts! I am really not sure the right way to go about it. On one hand, just like you say, to be able to educate would be ideal. I think it's always better to be able to help the owner and not just the animal, as you may be saving other animals that could come after the one you rescue. My fear is that is they will take something the wrong way, and will shut down, instead of being open to letting the duck go, or bettering it's environment. I keep thinking that if it really was a matter of being misinformed, and uneducated, why such a GROSS case of neglect? Even a person with no fowl experience ought to know that an animal needs water, food and shelter consistently. I can understand not knowing about niacin, or some of the other more duck-specific things. Even an idiot should know the way they treat that duck is inhumane.

I don't know, I'm just unsure on the best way to proceed. I told her to offer money as a last resort, so hopefully one way or another it will work out.
smile.png

Last edited:
chickensducks&agoose

Oh I completely know what you mean! I would never judge off water alone. Mine get their pool and water DISGUSTING in no time. lol

She has been watching the ducks grow since April. She walks her dog by their house about every other day, and has seen the duck in the same situation every time. She says it's gradually gotten worse (the water and the lack of food) over the last month or two. She says she has NEVER seen the duck out of the pen. And she said he NEVER stops turning in circles. I went by the other night, and could not see the duck through the bushes, but the pen is SMALL.

Oooh, that poor duckie!! I hope they will give it up, it sounds like they don't really care about it anyway. Did your mom stop and talk to them today??

Sad update, but my MIL went by the house yesterday to inquire about the duck and it was gone. Pen and all. She said she could not be sure, but it looked as if the ground had been disturbed as well.....

So unfortunately we worry that we were too late to help the duck. Don't know if it died...or was given away or eaten... All I can say is that I hope it's in a better place.

In other news, a neighbor called me and said she thinks there's a runner that's been abandoned at the local pond, so I plan on going by to check it out tomorrow.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! That's what I'm hoping too. Nothing wrong with being optimistic right???

Now I have decided I MUST get another duck. I already told my Swede drake he was finally getting a buddy (my Pekins tend to hang together and leave him out) so now I have to follow through.

Found a lady selling a Chocolate Runner hen. May go pick her up tomorrow. How different are Runners to raise vs. like Pekins and Swedes?

Thanks for the comments, I'm so bummed!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom