Rescuing neglected chickens...help!

Pics
Hi all! So today I was able to get pretty much everything I think we’ll need- feed (I opted for omega 3 pellets), nutridench, wazine (couldn’t find valbazen), powdered permethrin, Vaseline for scaly leg mites, plenty of pine shavings for the coop, a new hanging feeder, crushed oyster shells and some apple cider vinegar to add to their water. We also had an old, homemade sawhorse lying around so that works perfectly as a makeshift roost. Unfortunately the old heated waterer I had actually has a crack in it so I’ll have to get a new one tomorrow. I’ll also be cutting out and attaching the hardware cloth over the back window in the coop tomorrow. So far, so good! I didn’t get a chance to take any pics of the setup so far before it got dark so I’ll get some tomorrow. I’ll update you guys if anything changes and when I finally bring the girls home on Friday night. Thank you all for all the support, it means a lot! :)

Last edited:
B365319E-CF4E-4CEA-B426-177BE3EA9F38.jpeg

98F6EC53-9D76-4993-8E96-C37DFA9C80A7.jpeg

They have heated roost bars. I got 2 and they love them. You can leave them on the ground if they can't go high or you can zip tie them to a roost. They automatically come on once the temps reach 35 and its a radiated heat. It warms them through there feet. Much safer then heat lamps. If you can get flax bedding, it is fire retardant.

Good luck and thank you for saving them.

Glad you got masks too!!! That's something that a lot of us forget to mention.
I wear a respirator when cleaning the coop. A good habit to get into!

Wazine will treat roundworms only it's not a broad spectrum wormer like the Safeguard or Valbazen. You may want to consider taking that back and either order what you need or ask the store when they plan on getting more. (sorry:oops:)

Everything else looks great! Sawhorses, sound perfect:) Chickens are weirdos (that's why we love them) they may roost the first night or they may be stressed and pile up in the corner you never know. Even when we have great plans in our heads of how they "should" act, they will do the opposite.

You are doing great. I'm sure you're excited, but a bit worried too. I hope they are in better condition than expected, but you are prepared.

Glad you got masks too!!! That's something that a lot of us forget to mention.
I wear a respirator when cleaning the coop. A good habit to get into!

Wazine will treat roundworms only it's not a broad spectrum wormer like the Safeguard or Valbazen. You may want to consider taking that back and either order what you need or ask the store when they plan on getting more. (sorry:oops:)

Everything else looks great! Sawhorses, sound perfect:) Chickens are weirdos (that's why we love them) they may roost the first night or they may be stressed and pile up in the corner you never know. Even when we have great plans in our heads of how they "should" act, they will do the opposite.

You are doing great. I'm sure you're excited, but a bit worried too. I hope they are in better condition than expected, but you are prepared.
Oh yeah I had plenty of face masks lying around from home renovations/other projects last summer so it works out great!
I wasn’t sure about whether I should go without wazine or look elsewhere, I went to 4 different feed/agricultural stores and only found Wazine at one, oddly enough. Maybe because it’s during the off-season? There tend to be a lot more poultry products available in the spring of course, yet chickens are susceptible to getting parasites year round so you’d think they’d have this stuff available. :idunno I think I’ll hold off on returning it for now and do a little inspecting of their droppings first, of the couple of times my past flocks have had worms it’s always been roundworms, odds are it’ll be the case with these ones too- if I see anything that suggests otherwise, I’ll definitely get a more broad spectrum dewormer!
Yes, chickens sure are funny like that sometimes- I made sure to put plenty of thick pine shavings on the floor in case they prefer to sleep there instead of on the sawhorse. I also still need to figure out a couple nest boxes- maybe they’ll prefer to sleep on top of those too lol
Thanks for the reply!

I wasn’t sure about whether I should go without wazine or look elsewhere, I went to 4 different feed/agricultural stores and only found Wazine at one, oddly enough. Maybe because it’s during the off-season?
Most stores do not sell Valbazen, but they should have Safeguard for goats.

Back
Top Bottom