Research questions

revans2003

Chirping
Sep 24, 2015
Hello goose people!!

I am robin and am currently raising four ducklings and two khakis for eggs and pets. I have been toying with the idea of getting a goose(s) this spring and wanted to do some research before I made a decision. I have done some reading but couldn't find answers to my questions.

My big ducks love there pond and they will swim and sleep in it all day long. For my new duckies I am building a pond of a suitable size. Do geese enjoy the water just as much? Will they be happier having a dedicated pond? (and by that I mean enough pond space to accommodate everybody's waddle at the same time)

I know one goose will bond and become flockmates with the other ducks, but will a goose be much more happier with a buddy of its own kind?

I want to get an American buff due to there demeanor and endangered status and it is to have a pet not for meat. (Eggs would be good :) )

Any thoughts or comments or concerns? Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Last edited:
American buffs are a great starter breed, good choice!

Geese do not need water the same way ducks do, but if you have the ability to expand or build a big pond to accommodate everyone then definitely go for it!

Geese will be happy with other waterfowl but they are absolutely happiest with other geese, try and find a male/female pair or even a trio (one male two females). You don't have to let them hatch goslings, goose eggs are delicious.

Welcome to the goose forum and I hope you find some buffs, they are really an amazing breed, my favorite right before Embden and Toulouse.

I probably agree in the sense that they can be loud and are quite big.
They are very gentle if raised well but males just like Chinese tend to fight a lot in spring though every breed fights.
Pilgrim geese are 100% best for beginners they are medium sized, docile and mostly never aggressive
1f609.png

Last edited:
They are very gentle if raised well but males just like Chinese tend to fight a lot in spring though every breed fights.
Pilgrim geese are 100% best for beginners they are medium sized, docile and mostly never aggressive
1f609.png

Then I must be very lucky or doing something right
big_smile.png
. I have two female Chinese geese that are best buds. They are talkative though, about as much as my Pekins. One of the geese has taken it upon herself to be flock protector and will get between anything that may "threaten" her buddy and her ducks (I have 5 ducks - 4 female and 1 drake). They are very nice and have never seen any fighting - ever.

I do have to admit that the Alpha goose (Blackfoot) has tried to charge my DH. She stops when you bend down and look her in the eye and tell her she's pretty.

Then I must be very lucky or doing something right :D  . I have two female Chinese geese that are best buds. They are talkative though, about as much as my Pekins. One of the geese has taken it upon herself to be flock protector and will get between anything that may "threaten" her buddy and her ducks (I have 5 ducks - 4 female and 1 drake). They are very nice and have never seen any fighting - ever.

I do have to admit that the Alpha goose (Blackfoot) has tried to charge my DH. She stops when you bend down and look her in the eye and tell her she's pretty.

Hahaha! I will never own Chinese or African because of the noise, I think they are very pretty though!

1f609.png

I agree! I think buffs are also one of the least aggressive, embdens are the most aggressive (IMO) out of American, Toulouse, and Embden.

Geese enjoy water. Not as much as ducks, but still, there's a reason they're called waterfowl.

I've read that for geese, swimming is a social activity. I think it's true; my goose enjoys water much more and much longer when I put on waders and hop in with her.

Geese enjoy water. Not as much as ducks, but still, there's a reason they're called waterfowl.

I've read that for geese, swimming is a social activity. I think it's true; my goose enjoys water much more and much longer when I put on waders and hop in with her.

I agree. I don't think geese need it but they definitely enjoy having it rather than not. My geese had a pretty big tub buried in the ground but they rarely used it unless it was really hot out

Back
Top Bottom