Researchers ask: Are caged chickens miserable?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ridgefire, Nov 19, 2009.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    This story was posted on my local news station.

Researchers ask: Are caged chickens miserable?

November 19, 2009 - 03:20 a.m. EST

Scientists are trying to use research to take the emotions out of an angry debate over the welfare of caged egg-laying chickens.

At issue are small cages that can be shared by up to nine hens. About 96 percent of eggs sold in the United States come from hens who live in so-called battery cages throughout their brief lives.

Public opinion appears to side with those who contend the cages are cruel to chickens as caging is being regulated in states such as Michigan and California. But producers say caged hens are healthier.

Peter Skewes of Clemson University is comparing how different housing affects egg-laying hens. He says there are plenty of "emotional" opinions about caging hens but few are based on facts.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    lets put him in a cage...the idiot.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  3. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:with 8 others that he can't get away from.

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    This should get interesting...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2009
  5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

We'll be keeping an eye on this thread. [​IMG]

I know my parakeets like their cage. They take themselves home. LOL

6. ethingtonart

ethingtonart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    indianapolis
  7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you are talking battery cages vs. the way some "cage-free" operations are run... I would take the cages. Frankly, I don't think that crowding tons of birds in a huge building where they are just as crowded as a cage, but can be picked on by hundreds of other birds rather than just the 8 others in their cage is any better. The idea that caged birds are healthier than their cage-free counterparts makes sense to me. It would be much easier for germs to pass from bird to bird when they are all crammed together. Of course, I don't think there could be any debate about chickens raised with decent space and access to the outside being happier and healthier than either battery cage or so called cage-free operations.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by