Researchers ask: Are caged chickens miserable?

ridgefire

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Northern Michigan
This story was posted on my local news station.

Researchers ask: Are caged chickens miserable?

November 19, 2009 - 03:20 a.m. EST

Scientists are trying to use research to take the emotions out of an angry debate over the welfare of caged egg-laying chickens.

At issue are small cages that can be shared by up to nine hens. About 96 percent of eggs sold in the United States come from hens who live in so-called battery cages throughout their brief lives.

Public opinion appears to side with those who contend the cages are cruel to chickens as caging is being regulated in states such as Michigan and California. But producers say caged hens are healthier.

Peter Skewes of Clemson University is comparing how different housing affects egg-laying hens. He says there are plenty of "emotional" opinions about caging hens but few are based on facts.

We'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
wink.png

I know my parakeets like their cage. They take themselves home. LOL

If you are talking battery cages vs. the way some "cage-free" operations are run... I would take the cages. Frankly, I don't think that crowding tons of birds in a huge building where they are just as crowded as a cage, but can be picked on by hundreds of other birds rather than just the 8 others in their cage is any better. The idea that caged birds are healthier than their cage-free counterparts makes sense to me. It would be much easier for germs to pass from bird to bird when they are all crammed together. Of course, I don't think there could be any debate about chickens raised with decent space and access to the outside being happier and healthier than either battery cage or so called cage-free operations.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom