Residual effect of permethrin?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jbkinor, Jun 10, 2009.

1. jbkinor

jbkinor In the Brooder

Jun 15, 2007
    Western Oregon
    Is there a residual effect of permethrin solution sprayed in chicken house? Will the spray keep on killing the mites/lice that may be hiding there? And for how long? Why would poulty mites hide in the coup? I thought they lived on the chicken. :/Is there also residual killing of mites/lice when a chicken is dipped in permethrin solution? Will the dip residue kill off the newly hatched ones? I know it doesn't kill the eggs. Or do we need to repeat both these treatments in 7 to 10 days? Jeez, I hate mites/lice.

2. jbkinor

jbkinor In the Brooder

Jun 15, 2007
    Western Oregon
    Hello, is anybody there who might know???

3. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Songster

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The best strategy in the coop is to seal all the joints where two boards meet with caulking or fast drying mastic. They love to hide in the cracks during the day.

As far as the residual effects I am not sure on that one. Have you tried doing a search?

4. jbkinor

jbkinor In the Brooder

Jun 15, 2007
    Western Oregon
    These pests were on my bird all the time. Well, until we bathed her they were anyway. Why would some of them hide in the chicken house?

I read somewhere there is a residual effect but not for how long or why you then have to retreat.

5. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Songster

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  6. bcboy

bcboy Chirping

Aug 12, 2012
    Vernon
    Thanks for the link.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: