Resource guarding at POL: WWYD

9x12. 3 birds total. The primary feeder normally goes where the red dot is, so we added a secondary one on the other side of the dig box near the waterer (we move the primary to Ginger's crate while they're separated).

One thought I had was adding another 6" tier to the dig box, maybe even with a 2" shelf topper. That might serve as a visual barrier between the feeders. I could also attempt to add a center wall where one of the roof supports is.
For just 3 it's a very good amount of space, and you have some "stuff" in there but yes you lack vertical breaks in line of sight - a bird eating in one corner can see clear to the other corner. Maybe lean a few pallets against a wall here or there, or like you mentioned, build something around the box in center since it's already there, and breaking line of sight in the middle covers a lot more space than just having something small on one side or another.

We're going to rehome Ginger as soon as we can. I trimmed up the Australorps' poopy butts and gave her a couple opportunities to behave, but she's going right for the vent area (and this is with a full crop from a day of uninterrupted high-protein eating). If she needs to be separated 23 hours a day, she may as well do that while being integrated into a free-range home. Super disappointed. I'm 2 for 2 on feather pulling Golden Comets. I do not recommend this breed, especially the ones from Mt Healthy. Mushroom is also still smacking her on the head, but she refuses to use the secondary feeder. The whole thing is heartbreaking.

In the meantime, I'll be creating that visual block with the dig box. I'll even update with a photo once it's completed (just in case any future members are trying to solve a similar problem).

UPDATE

We had an interesting development. Within 2 hours of Ginger's departure, Pepper (who's been laying for over 2 weeks) starting pecking Mushroom (Ginger's aggressor) at the feeder! Mushroom assumed Ginger's role, and Pepper assumed Mushroom's role. We monitor our birds throughout the day between our run cam and in-person visits, and have NEVER seen this from Pepper.

WHAT IS GOING ON?? 🤯

Thankfully, this dynamic hasn't been an issue. Pepper is less aggressive than Mushroom was, and Mushroom happily eats for the secondary feeder (unlike Ginger).

WHAT IS GOING ON?? 🤯

Thankfully, this dynamic hasn't been an issue. Pepper is less aggressive than Mushroom was, and Mushroom happily eats for the secondary feeder (unlike Ginger).
Ginger's departure shook up the pecking order. It's not an issue as long as birds can feed at one feeder or another without too much hassle.

Ginger's departure shook up the pecking order. It's not an issue as long as birds can feed at one feeder or another without too much hassle.
I couldn't believe how fast!

The old pecking order of two. It's a bit ridiculous that they need separate feeders, but it's working. Instead of using the 10lb feeder, they fight over the baby one that needs to be refilled every 30 minutes. 😑

Back
Top Bottom