Respecting The Stick

My stick is a plastic bag or a tupperware or anything that looks like it holds treats. They all come running and go right in the run. I just lock the gate. They go into the coop on their own when they're ready and it gets dark. Just love that automatic coop door.

You have no doubt heard the saying..."Speak softly, but carry a big stick."
We have a "broom monster" that comes out every now and then - but I generally prefer the carrot option.
smile.png

Our cheap evil broom was bright yellow. I have never flogged my chickens with it but you would think it is a weekly occurrence with the way they run from it. Bad thing is, my broom was also the coop store room broom, and while serving it's broom duties, it broke
sad.png
. So now thanks to idea here, I'm going to barn and will get old pool skimmer and reappoint it as chief evil broom! Thanks, funny so many of us with same experience.

I always had a stick at the ready when I had a nasty roo. He's WAS fast and me not so much and the ole stick evened the playing field. Only I didn't herd him with the stick it was a thumpin' stick! Now mind you this was not a large stick, more like a switch for getting some attention.

Having a stick is a beautiful thing. It works wonders on Kids, too! Just keep one over the door lintel in each room (a paint stick) and when the child is disobedient, defiant, or just plain won't behave, you just look up, march over and get the stick, and one little 'whap' will do it. You don't have to do this too many times before all you have to do is look up there at the stick - the kid will instantly have a change of mind! Some people think this is cruel, but it's not. You have to start using this method for obedience at about 8 months old! Kids know what they're doing, and it doesn't take long for them to become insufferable brats. (I can give this old-fashioned advice because I'm an old Nana - been there, done that, and my kids all turned out great, Thank you, Lord!)

I also use a stick to train dogs, and chickens. And I'm not a 'beater', just a 'reminder'.
wink.png

The stick works great, doesn't it? I have mine trained so they walk up the ladder in a row, all nice and neat when it's time to go in. No more fussing about not wanting to go in.
cool.png

love the stick...I have several old broom handles here and there in case I need to move the flock...you would think I beat them on a regular basis the way the head for the hills (the night yard) when I pick up the stick...nothing funnier than twenty fat goose butts on the run from the evil stick...not to mention the "rear" guard of waddling ducks...

been using mine since day one in the coop works great taught the roo a few things with it when he got out of hand Mine Is a flagging stick used to help train and move horses while working with them. It has a piece of blue tarp tied to the end of it. works great

Back
Top Bottom