Respiratory illness- 2nd night of giving all 24 shots

ooltewah

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
Ooltewah, TN
My chicken coops sound like a TB clinic!!!! I'm on day two of giving all hens and roosters a Tylan shot. Easter- my sons rooster is in crate on front porch away from others. His eyes and nose had copious drainage. The rest are just congested and wheezing. So far we had to cull four that were suffering really bad and found one just dead. Its hard to tell how each one is eating or drinking. I've been syringe feeding Easter watered down oatmeal with applesauce. I've been putting the same out in the different coops. So- is there anything else I should be doing? Should I give the shots for three days or five???? I'm new to chickens so any suggestions are welcomed

It sounds like you're dealing with Coryza which is a secondary symptom and a form of CRD (Chronic Respiratory Disorder). For flock treatment Sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox) at 1tsp per gallon of water for 3 days. When the foul odor goes away, you must change meds. If you want to treat the birds individually, the Tylan 50 dose for standard breed adults in 1/2 cc injection under the skin on the back of the neck every day for 5 days. For birds over 5 lbs, give an additional 1/2 cc in the breast muscle.

If you want to do flock treatment in water, mix equal parts Chlortetracycline and Gallimycin powder dry in a jar. Put one teaspoon of it per gallon of water each day for 14 days. If they recover, you'll have to start a vaccination program with new chicks at 6-8 weeks of age, then 3-4 weeks later. It is also a good idea to vaccinate older birds once a year as a booster.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom